C4 Front Servo Leak?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Default C4 Front Servo Leak?

I am not a trans guy, so be gentle.

Chasing a leak on my Falcon. Started a week or so ago while parked. Car hadn't been run for a few weeks, ran it for some tuning, came out to garage next night and had a 13" puddle on the floor.

1st thought was the front cooler line fitting to the case. It's still the OE Ford unit with the o-ring and jam nut. Changed it out last night (had to cut a hole in the floor to get to it, grrr) and that slowed the flow but did not stop it. The OE fitting was bad, o-ring was dead and theads were stripped on the jam nut.

Sprayed area down with brake clean, dried it all off and in about 20 minutes it starts puddling in the depression between servo cover and fitting.

It is appearing that the leak is from the top of the servo cover mating area. Is this possible? Area between the two top retaining bolts is wet at the gasket. I used clean pipe cleaners to probe around the fitting and they come out dry and white.

If it is the servo gasket / seal (I don't know what's behind the cover, a bearded lady maybe?) can I replace this in the car without dropping the trans? Thanks to my new 'access panel' I have clear access to the cover but I am uncertain as to what to expect if I unbolt it.

I am also unable to tell you what servo it has although I can get the casting number off of it if needed.

Thanks for your help, hoping to get back to the track tomorrow night.

Murff
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

YOU KNOW WHAT MURFF---I THINK I HAVE THE ANSWER!!!!!!---IF YOU DRAIN ALL OF THE FLUID OUT :roll: :roll: IT PROBABLY WON'T LEAK AT THAT SPOT ANY MORE :lol: :? :lol: :lol: ---ONLY KIDDING--I THINK YOU HAVE TO DROP THE TRANS TO GET TO IT IN THE FALCON/SORRY!--LIVELY
Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Oh, Lively, yer a BIG help.

Murff