How about Caltrac VS Ladder Bar ( leaf spring cars only)

Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
ericsz
APPRENTICE

Default How about Caltrac VS Ladder Bar ( leaf spring cars only)

What do you think about this one?? Do you prefer ladder bar or Caltrac on your leaf spring rig??
Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I think if you use housing floaters go with ladder bar. If not the Cal trac works really well.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Leaf spring on a budget.... caltracs or similar....
I feel ladder bars can give a little better adjustability, but I would ditch the leaf springs and use coilovers.... if you got the coin...
but dont dismiss the caltracs, lots of cars working good with them.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I didn't answer previously becuase I wanted to see what someone else would say to this.

My opinion is that they both can be set-up to work pretty good. They both will require some tweeking and tuning to work best. Setting pre-laod with CalTracs can get a little tricky. If you buy ladder bars do not buy the cheapest. At least get the adjustable bars so you can set pinion angle.

I will give a huge edge to the CalTrac if it is street driven. It will make a little noise but that is the only negative.

In my opinion if you are stuck with leaf springs do the mono=leafs only. Mulit-leafs are too stiff for a drag car no matter wht you read in magazines.

Ed
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 PM
acpat
SHOW GUEST

Ladder bars wear more on a street car and are real noisy. I would use a slide a link or caltrac before a ladder bar. I saw a post where it was talking about ladder bars binding when you entered or exited a parking lot.