Calles Compstar or Scat 4340 crank

Old 07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Calles Compstar or Scat 4340 crank

Which would you use in you sbc and why?Trying to keep crankshaft cost to around $500-$600
Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

wha cha going to do with the motor ??..street cruiser, mild bracket motor, heads up balls to the wall motor, blower motor, trailer queen...this will help you answer the question if you need a $600 crank period..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

a stock good steel crank will take around 500 hsprw with a 4 blt sbc,
more power or a motor taking abuse, bjuice is right u can get a
good forged crank for around $600. bucks, competition products has
cola close outs for around $500 bucks for sbc :?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i probably should have just said this yesterday but didn't...so hear goes..

My opinon is this...there are some places to cut back on a motor...but i would stay with the best parts when it comes to rotating assembly,,crank,rods,piston's.....this makes up the core of your motor..by spending a little more money and getting best parts it will open up the door for you down the road..longivity being #1...

i have never MET one person that built a motor or car that DID NOT want to go faster etc...Do not make that mistake and tell yourself you will be satisfied,,cause you WILL NOT.....YOU WILL want more..SPEED/POWER is addictive..its more addictive than drugs to some of us..(hint,hint)...
so do yourself a hug favor and build a solid bottom end,,so you can throw a little shot of spray on there, or make a cam or head change for some more ponies and not over rate your bottom end..

my opinion.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Calles Compstar or Scat 4340 crank

Originally Posted by et7333
Which would you use in you sbc and why?Trying to keep crankshaft cost to around $500-$600
Both crankshafts you mention start their life as a chinese forging but are heat treated and manchined in the USA. It's hard to find an american forged and machined crank for less than $800.00 to $1200.00. As mentioned the cola cranks are American.
But as BJ says build the short blk. to the best that your budget will allow and in the end you'll be happier.

Zip.