Tune up before smog test?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Tune up before smog test?

350 chevy with 60,000 miles.Car runs great.Time for smog.I have not changed plugs sense the last smog.Right after engine was rebuilt.Just wondering would it be a good idea to change plugs before smog test?Car runs really well.Thats why I have not changed the plugs.I pulled a plug and it was nice and clean.Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

It defiantly wouldn't hurt, while you're in there, swap out the pcv and air filter.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:26 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Right on man.Thanks for the advive.Pcv will be on the way.Just need to clean and oil my k&n.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Changing the plugs is never a bad idea and the pcv filter will help too.
I always change the oil just before I go down to the inspection station.
Dirty oil contain allot of containments that can get you a failing grade and is sometimes overlooked. Goodluck, Charles
Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 AM
blown375
APPRENTICE

Be careful with oiling the K&N filter , I was just talking to a friend of mine with a VW bug ,with twin turbos that was having all kinds of problems and finally figured out that it was the oil off the filter messing up the mass air sensor. He changed the filter cleaned the sensor and reset the computer and now the car runs strong.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

I was watching the news.Calif wants to make the emission test 18 to 25% harder to pass smog test.Does the state know how many cars they will take off the road?I'm a old school chevy man.I put way to much $ into my 77 impala coupe for emissions to be lowered and cant pass a smog.Just got it back from paint shop today.If this may be the case.Worse comes to worst.I will purchase a trailer and pull the smog sh*t off and go balls out with this engine.Just will not be able to drive it to work anymore.That sucks big time.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Engine has been rebuilt.New tranny with shift kit.No leaks at all.All smog is on the car.The car is far from being a eye sore.More like a eye catcher.What about the cars 75 and under that looks like crap beat up.Engine is smoking and dont even have to smog.What more does the state wants?Like what?I have to buy a new car due to emissions?Sorry guys.But this is bs in imho.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cbtlr
I was watching the news.Calif wants to make the emission test 18 to 25% harder to pass smog test.Does the state know how many cars they will take off the road?I'm a old school chevy man.I put way to much $ into my 77 impala coupe for emissions to be lowered and cant pass a smog.Just got it back from paint shop today.If this may be the case.Worse comes to worst.I will purchase a trailer and pull the smog sh*t off and go balls out with this engine.Just will not be able to drive it to work anymore.That sucks big time.
One of the draw backs of living in the land of plenty, personally I'd move. California has gone off the deep end with the emissions testing, just like you said they almost expect people to go out and buy a new car every other year just to pass a smog test!
I live where there is no smog test at all. people round here take new trucks and pull cats off and put flowmasters on. doesnt really make sense to me but then again it not me doing it either. all my emissins are still in place on my 96 suburban but I have noway of knowing if it would pass a smog test or not, it doesnt smoke or use oil, I keep it tuned and regualrly change oil but I bet it would'nt even come close to passing a cali test which to me is b/s, I feel for you guys there, Goodluck, Charles
Old 08-01-2007, 07:02 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cbtlr
i hate it for you..i live in S.C. and no emission control here also.... we DO NOT even have an insepction law any longer...and when we did all you had to do is know someone that owned a garage and pay them $3.00 for sticker...and there ya go..

heck man you can run a full blown pro-mod around on the streets here.....although the laws are really lax...you DO NOT see much outrageous stuff...at least to us S.C. natives its doesn't seem outrageous..but i am sure if a California native came here ..they would be blown away compared to what they have to deal with....

i like what i hear about California except the SMOG stuff.....i will stay on the Southern East Coast...thank u..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Had the car smoged today.Passed with good room to spare.Didnt change the plugs.I was concerned due to the stock exhaust was replaced with a new free flow cat went from 2 1/2 inch stock pipe to 3 inch with 2 chamber flowmaster.The old stock cat was almost 30 years old and still passed last time out to test only.I was asking ?'s about the smog laws.My exhaust is cut right at the rear axle.Single pipe.The tech stated .I could get a fine for a short pipe.I was like .WTF.To myself.Not the tech.He was cool.He still smoged and didnt try to fail me due to the short pipe.He stated in November.Your gas cap will not only be tested.But your fuel tank itself will be tested for presure leaks..I was like ok Calif.Whats gonna be next?I got atleast 2 years to make plans to leave this state.I cant wait to get in a state where I earn my own $ and can spend it any way I choose on my vehicles.You buy a vehicle and the state still has control over your property.Well thats how I feel when I cant even install a performance cam at the minimum in my chevy.I have a friend from Hawaii.He stated in Hawaii you cant even put wider tires on the rear of your car.Due to the vehicle laws there.Whats the deal on all these new smog laws?I leave calif.I'm sure it would not be long before my car will be in the pro street class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -