The rebuild has begun!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Default The rebuild has begun!

Here are the first photo's from todays chop session. It was hard to get started cutting but once I got going it felt pretty good. Will keep you guys updated on the progress. Many more pic's to come!

Left side

Right side- still cutting

Side view- looks like we need to expand the opening a bit!

Left rear view, Believe that will work!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

WOW!!!!!!

Yes keep us informed on your progress.....looke like your pretty good at cutting...Looks clean and straight!

More pics as you can!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:33 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

yes sir, a back half, makes me wake up and smile SWEET!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

now the fun part can begin.... you need to support the back of the body when installing the frame, it can sag. Make sure the doors open and close ok....
Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

This is just the initial rough cut, will mark for final cuts when we get ready to do tin work. Need to get my wheels and mount those 16 x33 slicks so I can see exactly how much to cut the wheel opening. Doors still shut good but have a bit more cutting to do, may loose more support? The real fun starts when I put in the frame rails and cross memeber. The car is currently a ladder bar and I'm changeing to 4 link. This means the existing crossmember has to be moved back (replaced). Problem is the main hoop of my cage is tied into it, will have to get creative.

Whatcha think carbon fiber tubs? :wink: :wink:
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

OUTSTANDING Job so far!

Like ya said, the hard part is getting started. And, like mentioned earlier, use plenty of bracing. i weld in temporary angle or tube, use jack stands, wood blocks, whatever. Really makes it look "frankenstein" till I'm done. But then everything fits and all the alignments look right to the eye (sheetmetal, I'm talking about) even if the tape measure's off a hair.

Keep us posted, I can't wait to see the finished ride. Should be AWESOME!

P.S. Gotta love women with big up fronts and cars with big out back! :lol:

AL
Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

[img]
[/img] my builder jacked my blazer up and welded stuff to my blazer and took lots of measurments, there was no shagging going on at all, he supported the back of the body untill done with rolling chassis, Yes a backhalf is kick ass!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:19 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

One reason I left the back glass and rear package tray in for now is it does provide some stability. I will brace the extreme rear for now all that would be in the way. I'm not a little feller, so I need plenty of room to move around!

Finished cutting the right side out this afternoon. Have to cut the floor back more but haven't decided how much yet. Some where close to the tailshaft I think.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
camaro74454
JUNIOR BUILDER

Looks like alot of hard fun, gonna be a nice camaro when it's done.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Yep, I love to do fab work. It was ready to go race as it was, just tired of the 10" tires. I bought this car new in 1980, so I had a hard time deciding to cut it. Here is what it looked like before I started. Hopefully the finished project will be a head turner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -