80 Camaro

Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Default 80 Camaro

Hey guys, putting a set of 33 x 16's on my camaro. Have any of you put this size slick on an 70-81 F body. If so did you have to lengthen the upper portion of the wheel opening?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:28 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

What I have seen it the wheels sit wat under the car when the big tire is put on those cars. It also depends on your suspension set-up if you have no squat you can get away with very little clearance..
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I'm prepared to put as large a tub as possible and figured they would have to be set in a bit. Just didn't really want to modify the outer quarter panel unless absolutley necessary.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

get em in under as far as you can without looking it looking goofy....
this is usually a function of the frame rail width....
what usually limits frame rail width is what size fuel cell you want to stick between them.
for street use, usually you need a 10 gallon, which is around 171/2", cant remember for sure, 1/2clearance or better, (plastic tanks tend to swell and you will never get it out again), and 2" for each frame rail, if you are going 2x3 gives 22" outside measurement of frame rail.
if you are drag only car, then you can use a smaller tank, then dont be afraid to move the rails in a little more.
If you still need a big fuel tank, you will need one custom made.
we have here in the shop a 70 lemans, basicly chevelle body, with round tube frame, 17" outside on the frame rails with 18 1/2 " centers on the 4 link brackets.
put the wheels on the tires you want to use, stick em up under the car were you want them then work from there.
I see in your other post you are kind of doing that. It is a good method, but make sure you check all measurements 2 or 3 times and write everything down., just some tips here.....
also, chassis engineering makes a wider tub than the usual 23 1/2" ones if you need, you would not need to add in filler pieces..
Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Thanks Ed,

I was trying not to cut the quarter panel, but looks like there will need to be some minor trim work done. Those pic's in the other post were very preliminary. For mock up purposes I have mounted the slicks on wheels with 15 x 15 x 5" bs. As soon as I finish repairing the rear housing I bought of racing junk (appropriately named I might add) we can get everything in position. The four link brackets are on 19 3/4" centers that should give a frame rail width of about 21". Distance between rails is not real crucial as we're converting to alcohol and moving the cell to the front. Want as large a tub as possible, trying for a 28 x 40, still haven't decided if I want aluminum or carbon fiber tubs, any thoughts?

I hear ya lound and clear on the measure twice cut once. Had a guy that worked with me for a while and he would always say," I cut it twice and it's still to short" LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Bill
Old 08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

That big of a tire will require a lengthening of the front of the wheel opening. You can just cut it where it needs clearance down at the bottom but that looks funky. You can tuck them way under the car so they clear but that look like you have a dragster frame with a car sitting on it. It is not that difficult to just make the full wheel opening a little longer.

Your best bet is to lok at several similar cars and see how they did it.

Ed
Old 08-11-2007, 02:50 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by edvancedengines

Your best bet is to lok at several similar cars and see how they did it.

Ed
Everything I've looked at is running a 31 or 32. The 32 is close but most everyone takes the easy way out and either tucks them way under or just trims a little where they need it. I think I'll end up getting glass wheel opening extensions and then cutting them in. This will keep the body lines clean and correct. Was hoping to not repaint the car but I guess I can forget about that.