just getting opinions on this right now thank you
Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I wouldnt be affraid to buy one
Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I am running one right now in a sbc 383. Everything checked out good when we degreed it. I haven't run it long enough to say if there will be any metalurgy problems or anything like that. The only thing I noticed was that the edge of the front journal did not have a chamfer on it to allow the timing gear to be installed easier. That did not cause me any problem I added the chamfer myself, it probably just bothered me more than most because I run a machine shop.

Curtis
Old 07-18-2007, 05:46 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i haven't heard anything bad about their cams...and just like most companies they probably got some name branch company like crane or competition making their cams anyhow......so i wqould purchase in a heart beat..

i have heard a story about their lifters...so i would probably go with a name brand lifeter if i were you.

thanks- Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM
CHEVYMATT
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default thanks

I BOUGHT A SBC CAM 275 284 @.050 WITH 625 628 ON A 108 AND INSTALLED AT 104 . THE CAM LOOKS GREAT AND SOUNDS BETER YET. BUT WHEN I DEGREED IT FROM CENTER LINE OF LOBE LIFT AT .050 FROM PEAK OF LOBE I CAME UP WITH 116 1/2 SO I HAD TO JUMP ONE TOOTH AND THEN DEGREE IT TO GET MY 104-105 . I CHECKED IT 10 TIMES AS WELL AS MAKING SURE I HAD PISTON TDC BEFORE DEGREEING CAM.. BUT IT RUNS AND SOUNDS GOOD ANYWAY I JUST NEVER THOUGHT A CAM COULD BE SO FAR OFF. BUT I DID BUY A SA GEAR FULLY ADJUSTABLE TIMING GEAR SET FROM COMPETITION PRODUCTS. MAYBE IT'S A LITTLE OFF TOO. THANK AGAIN GUYS
Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
CHEVYMATT
JUNIOR BUILDER

OH IM RUNNING COMP SOLID ROLLER LIFTERS. THANKS
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
lmccoll
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Herbert Cams

A good friend of mine builds pretty expensive race engines, $25,000 to over $100,000. He says Herbert cams are really good. He said they are a little cheaper because they don't spend a lot on advertising. No names mentioned, but some companies spend a huge amount of money on advertising and Herbert doesn't.

By the way, they invented the roller cam years ago. I am prettys sure they make their own cams.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

i've ran 3 of there cams in past cars i've built and never had any issues with them..as what was just said..they are one of the first with roller cams and that don't spend lot on advertising them so there overhead is low so can past that on to the racers. they have some good tech guys also and don't mind taking the time with you to help pick right cam from them..just my 2 cents;;;;;;
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I would have a little problem believing this statement.

By the way, they invented the roller cam years ago. I am prettys sure they make their own cams.
I will agree and disagree that he Herbert name is a long time old name in racing cams. It is Chet Herbert, Not Doug Herbert was around and in business about as long as anyone in the industry. There were several that seems like almost sprung up into the cam business near the same time in racing history.

I did use a Chet Herbert cam years ago in a mild modified stick shift Mopar because the owner already had it and the specs were ok for what we were building. The car ran great for what it was, but no way to compare it to anything else.

I would not be scared to use a Herbert cam in a budget engine, but I would also be doing it, with awareness of that it would not be state of the art in design, or machining accuracy.

As far as saying they can sell for less because of lack of advertising expenese I would not pay much attention to. Herbert does advertise heavily in some pretty expensive publications with thier lines and sales adds. They are not advertisiong any of their single products like cams though.

Some of the strongest drag racing engines and even Pro Stock engines are being done by cam companies that do not advertise and are not well known by anyone except those involved in serious engines. Their costs are not advertisiong. It is all aspects of the material costs including all the heat treating, The unbelievable high cost of the cam grinding equipment now in use that can produce fully accurate cams in their completed state.

LOng and short is if you are budget challanged and do not need latest technology lobe designs, go for the Herbert, Howards, etc. and enjoy it.

Ed
Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

my first cam came from chet herbert who answers the phone himself
and they grind their own cams, i have bought 6 herbert cams and
never had a problem, their roller cams are the best for the price,
my opinion, i have never dealt with doug for cams. i am using a
lunati roller now just to use a different cam, i like to use the less
advertised cams, engle, erson, isky, schneider, crower all good cams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -