Wanting to Go Racing

Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 AM
lbjones
SHOW GUEST

Default Wanting to Go Racing

Hello , I am new to this site and really like it. Anyway, I have been to the races alot starting way back in the early 80's . I have always had fairly fast street cars. Now my inner being is saying "Race! Race!" .
The problem is , I am intimidated. For what reason, I do not know. I know how bracket racing works. I feel very nervous. Not about winning or losing, I just want to have fun. I have never had a car on the race track. I am worried about staging correctly, and there are alot of classes and I am worried about getting in the correct staging lane. Is this just the first time jitters? You veteran racers out there, how was it the first time you raced? Any advice would be appreciated. One other question,,, I have a 55 chevy 2dr. 427 bbc with a muncie, Would the best thing be to go automatic if I am going to race??......
Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

the first time you race is like the first time you are with a girl, dont know what you are doing but ,man is it fun, damn nervous, cant get you belts on, cant strap your helmet on, leg is shakin real bad, and yes there is the most kick ass grin on your face, dragracers are cool just ask, there will be lots of help around you, yes there is a jerk here and there, but lots of cool people love dragracing, they will help, just relax and have fun, your at a dragstrip!!!!!!! the big kids disneyland 8)
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

All tracks usaully have a test & tune night. You can go out, make as many passes as you like, practice and have fun. Tell the guy who pulls cars from the stagging lanes you are a new racer and woild like to make single by yourself. This way you do not have to be nervous about the guy in the other lane. I would definately suggest going to a Powerglide if you are going to bracket race, its all about being consistant. If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask. Don
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Don is right, test and tune is a great way to get in the swing of things. Check with your local track, ours has a bracket school run with TNT nights from time to time.

Curtis
Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
lbjones
SHOW GUEST

Wow, this is a cool site. Nice people here. My local track has a test and tune night on wednesdays. Thanks for the advice.... feel better already.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

JUST REMEMBER YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES ops: / YOU WILL SCREW UP IN FRONT OF YOUR FRIENDS :twisted: /YOU WILL LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES :wink: -PERIOD--JUST TRY IT AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T DO IT!!!!---ALWAYS ,ALWAYS PLAY IT ON THE SAFE SIDE NO MATTER WHAT SOMEONE TRIES TO BULLY YOU INTO--I LEARNED WHEN I WAS 15 YEARS OLD AND HAVE NEVER STOPPED SINCE THEN[I AM 53 NOW :x :x ]--IT IS ALOT OF FUN/JUST KEEP IT THAT WAY :lol: :lol: --LIVELY IN ILLINOIS
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Wanting to Go Racing

Originally Posted by lbjones
Hello , I am new to this site and really like it. Anyway, I have been to the races alot starting way back in the early 80's . I have always had fairly fast street cars. Now my inner being is saying "Race! Race!" .
The problem is , I am intimidated. For what reason, I do not know. I know how bracket racing works. I feel very nervous. Not about winning or losing, I just want to have fun. I have never had a car on the race track. I am worried about staging correctly, and there are alot of classes and I am worried about getting in the correct staging lane. Is this just the first time jitters? You veteran racers out there, how was it the first time you raced? Any advice would be appreciated. One other question,,, I have a 55 chevy 2dr. 427 bbc with a muncie, Would the best thing be to go automatic if I am going to race??......
It's awsome you wanting to run a 4speed but I think starting out you should go with the automatic for sure. Save your muncie for a neat street car. In drag racing the muncie just won't hold up plus you will spend a ton of money on a drive train. Doug nash, Jerico are the trannies to go with now a days but save that for the future :wink:
Have fun and try not to spend a lot of money first off. Build the car safe and check and recheck everything all the time. Read what these guys have to say on this Forum. You will learn a ton.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default first time

hey lb first welcome to the best racing web site there is on the planet you have came to the right spot to get advise[he he he ] as mention above ,go to your tracks test and tunes and be sure to introduce youre self to all the "track guys" they will be as helpfull as they can be yes do ask for a "single" the first time and also talk to somer one who has the starters "ear" to help you stage or ask a fellow racer/friend to give you pointers or help you stage at thet track! also what helps me with a new car is to sit in the car and make several runs in the car in your mind you would be surprised on the results. 4 speed vrs auto well i perfere a auto instead of a 4 spd due to the fact its easer. racing is hard enough by its self much less making it harder on yourself but everyone to there self. just relax take a few long breaths and go racing! enjoy the ride. once again welcome to the site!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
lbjones
SHOW GUEST

I think you guys are absolutely right about the automatic. The next question is, which one? Turbo 400 ? powerglide? I invite all advice. Any one trade for a good muncie? ha ha :lol: