putting externally balanced flexplate on internally balanced

Old 07-03-2007, 04:58 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default putting externally balanced flexplate on internally balanced

the flexplate i put on i noticed has a weight on it my motor and harmonic balancer are internally balanced does this matter the flexplate is a aftermarket externally balanced
Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i was just told to make the flex plate internally balanced just cut off the weight is this true?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zano
i was just told to make the flex plate internally balanced just cut off the weight is this true?
Nope not true,get the right flywheel "0" balance, neutral. Cutting the weight off might ruin the engine,or shake your teeth out :P
Old 07-03-2007, 06:10 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Zano, You are being given alot of conflicting advise. I wuold not just cut the weight off and keep on goig. I do not agree with the way you were told to set the convertor up either. Is this a racecar or a streetcar. I have put a convertor in atleast 50 times with no problems. Let me know the answer to this ouestion and we will strat there. I have never seen a convertor with 6 lugs on it, it must be a street convertor. By the way if the flywheel is bent i wuoldnt use it anyway.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i'm glad you ask about the 6 flanges i just went and got the part # from the box go to tci.com part# 251050 shows the converter i got i never really read about it before i gave them engine spec sheet they picked it but i just looked it says 4 or 6 bolt flanges take a look if you don't believe what they say give me your email i'll send you a picture tomorrow when my boy wakes up i don't know how to send pictures . tci said that 1/8th inch gap isn't enough to worry about. when i squeezed it with my fingers i almost got the converter flush with the flexplate. the big thing is the externally balancing it will take me 6 hours to take it out no room its in a willys i'll call manufacturer on friday if i have to i'll take it out but i hope they say just cut off weight thanks zano
Old 07-03-2007, 10:01 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

With GM anyway, Ive seen alot of them with 6 lug converters, most were diesels, and you can get new converters that are 6 lug, I've seen them mainly for the tractor pulling crowd. The 4 bolt they're talking about is normally Ford/Mopar.

It's TCIAUTO.com

PRO-X™ 9" & 10" Race Converters

The TCI® PRO-X™ 9 & 10-Inch Race Converters are designed specifically for Top Sportsman, Top Dragster and Outlaw Street Car classes. Able to handle 2500 hp plus applications (including multi-stage, nitrous assisted, supercharged and twin turbocharged engines), these high strength torque converters feature a TCI® exclusive - HDT Coating™ (Heat Dissipating Technology™) - further enhancing their ability to deliver unsurpassed consistency and durability.

Features:

Hand-built steel stator

Forged mounting cover

3 sets of heavy-duty internal bearings

Furnaced-brazed turbine and pump assembly

Built for GM, Ford and Chrysler transmissions; six or four-bolt flanges and optional billet front available
Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 PM
pipes434sbc
APPRENTICE

Hey Zano.Have to agree,do not just blow weights off,combined with the fact that your flexplate is bent,I would say replace it.Although I have blown weights off many 400 flywheels for 350 swaps with no issues,these were grocery-getter customers with 200hp engines that rarely saw more than 3000 rpm.Definately not advice for a race engine.Hopefully after you replace flexplate the ears will line up perfect.(they probably will)If they don`t ,we have a saying up here,"it is what it is, deal with it",meaning don`t lose sleep over it,if the converter is new, try to get a replacement.If you are STUCK with it,don`t go out & buy another one (unless you are rich) just shim the ear in question enough so you don`t put strain on the flexplate & everything is even & happy.Provided you have the correct spaceing between converter & transmission,it will not become an issue.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:11 PM
blown375
APPRENTICE

Default flywheel

Zano just get the correct flywheel and don't risk hurting the engine.
Is it worth the cost of a flywheel to risk having to fix a hurt motor?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

your absolutly right i'm picking 1 up today thanks zano
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

BEST RULE - STAY AWAY FROM TCI.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!