Somethhing different

Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Somethhing different

I've been buying parts for a while now for my new engine. It's another 428 ci (Ford FE) dinasore. :P I started with an early 390 mirror block (high nickel content) that had the cross bolt pedestals for the main bearings. I had my machinist add original 427 crossbolt main caps and line bore it and fill it with hard block to the bottom of the water pump holes. Then he bored it to 4.130 (428 bore) and decked it. He then modified the oiling system (standard mod on these engines) painted all interior surfaces with glyptol and added new cam bearings. He checked my 428 nodular iron crank for streightness and found it within tolerances however advised against using a 40 year old crank that was cut 20/40 so I ordered a new Eagle 428 nodular iron crank. At the same time I ordered my crank from Race Engineering in South Florida, I ordered a set of custom made Wisco 13.5 forged domed light weight racing pistons. I got the pistons and crank today. Monday I will take the Eagle H beam rods, crank and pistons along with my flywheel, Inovators West harmonic balancer and all attaching hardware to the machine shop for balancing. Once balanced and the shortblock is assembled I can install my Crane roller cam and billet and rollerized timing sprokets and double roller timing chain. I also have Crane Ultra Pro roller lifters, push rods and springs to match the cam (621/598 lift). The heads are 428cj that have been ported, machined for teflon seals, fitted with 2.15 intake and 1.65 Ferrea 6000 valves, billet roller rockers, spacers, stands, end supports and hardened shafts. The flow numbers are 315 on the intake and 230 on the exhaust. The intake is an Offy Port-O-Sonic that has also been ported to match the heads. The carb is a holley 1100 dominator. The ignition is MSD and the headers are Hooker full comps with 2 1/8 tubes into an adjustable 4" collector. I've run this combo on my desk top dyno and have gotten 680hp @6800 rpm and 640 ftlbs of torque @ 5500 rpm. I then installed the engine in a Mustang body with my race car specs and ran it on my desk top drag strip. It ran a best of 5.86 in excellent air and 5.96 in normal air with a 1.32 60 ft. It should run somewhere in those numbers. I'm also adding an 150 shot of nitrous for qualifying runs if needed. I expect to have the engine and body mods finished before the end of the year when the air is nice and cool here in central Florida. I'll post the results. :wink: 8)
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

cobrajet428 we will be waiting for the numbers and hope they are what you want. Play it safe and have fun.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:25 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Definitely sounds cool!

Don't forget the pix with the numbers. And, of course, Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by woodsman
cobrajet428 we will be waiting for the numbers and hope they are what you want. Play it safe and have fun.
To tell you the truth, All I want is to get it all back together and be racing again. It'll run what ever it runs. I bracket race. All I want is for it to stay together and run consistant. Those are just numbers that are probable for the car to run. If it doesn't run those numbers, I won't be disappointed. It ran 10.40's at a race weight of 2850 and with an engine producing 540 hp before. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or a mathematician to know that it's going to run better at a race weight of approx. 2500 and with an engine producing 680 hp and 640 ftlbs of torque (without the 150 shot). How much faster? It doesn't matter to me. :wink: I'll keep you guys posted. George
Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

George I am just playing around but the number that you gave me I am guessing that it is going to run a number around 9.47 @139mph and with the spray 9.08 @ 143mph so you are well on your way to a very good rush of adrenaline and a very large smile and wobble knees. Can't wait to hear how you do.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by woodsman
George I am just playing around but the number that you gave me I am guessing that it is going to run a number around 9.47 @139mph and with the spray 9.08 @ 143mph so you are well on your way to a very good rush of adrenaline and a very large smile and wobble knees. Can't wait to hear how you do.
It's ok! I took it as a positive remark. Thank you :wink: I just wanted to point out that my combo shows that the numbers are doable (is that a word?) :shock: 8)
Old 06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

George that is a word. And any way you look at it you are going to be flying for sure. I think we are going to get our hotrods together around the same time. Well I will be watching for you.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I used to be a ford guy years and I admire people who are, there are not cheap to make fast especially the fe motors. You say your combo should produce somewhere around 680 horses and your using a cast steel crank? YIKES!!! be careful & goodluck. Charles
Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 AM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by cepx111
I used to be a ford guy years and I admire people who are, there are not cheap to make fast especially the fe motors. You say your combo should produce somewhere around 680 horses and your using a cast steel crank? YIKES!!! be careful & goodluck. Charles
Charles, I talked to an Eagle rep and was told that their cast steel nodular cranks will hold up to 700hp +. My neighbor accross the street has a 68 firebird with a stroker pontiac motor making about the same horespower and is using an Eagle cast steel nodular crank. He turns it to 7200 rpm and runs low 5.90's, leaves on the brake at 4500 rpm. He's been running this crank now for about two years. He just freshened his motor and had the crank checked, no problems. If I stay off the nitrous routinely, I beleive it will be alright. I wanted a Genesis block with a billet steel crank and aluminum Blue Thunder heads but couln't afford it this time around. Next time I'll do it with all the parts on my wish list. For now, this engine will do just fine.