Oil Restrictors for small block chev

Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 AM
chevyshubox
SHOW GUEST

Default Oil Restrictors for small block chev

Can any one tell me if I should be using oil restrictors in my 327 small block street engine only. It has a small solid cam 450 lift [email protected] and a stock oil pump with stock pan this engine won`t be raced will be street only. Any help will be appreciated Thanks Chris.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: Oil Restrictors for small block chev

Originally Posted by flamin57
Can any one tell me if I should be using oil restrictors in my 327 small block street engine only. It has a small solid cam 450 lift [email protected] and a stock oil pump with stock pan this engine won`t be raced will be street only. Any help will be appreciated Thanks Chris.
Using oil restrictors will cause the spring to runn alot hotter and with a stock pump and stock pan you should be fine and if your using stock type rockers it also may cause a problem.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 AM
chevyshubox
SHOW GUEST

Carl I`m just thinking it might drain all the oil from the sump to the rocker covers if I rev it a bit without them is this possible or not. Thanks Chris
Old 06-15-2007, 08:24 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

In my opinion using oil restrictors is old school, the thought was if running a solid or roller cam the extra oil was not needed up high and the extra oil would help keep the oil on the bottom end, but since then R & D has found the benefits of the oil being spread out across the engine far out weigh the extra oil do low not to mention the extra windage it creates.
Oil helps keep the stock type rockers cool which create tons of friction and it keeps springs cool too which help them retain spring tension with high lift cams.
When using a solid roller the extra oil helps keep the pin on the roller well lubricated and cool which is a major weak point.
Unless your keeping your engine reved up in the 5 to 6k range for long extended periods of time you wont need oil restrictors.
Charles
Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 AM
chevyshubox
SHOW GUEST

Cool I guess I`ll just leave them out. Thanks Chris.