Street Heads

Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM
chevysb400
APPRENTICE

Default Street Heads

can you run 220cfm heads with 2.08 valves on the street on a sbc 406?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:02 AM
firestone
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

First off, I assume you mean 220cc heads. You can, but in order match the rest of the parts (cam, intake...) you will make the motor pretty racey. In order to properly match those heads, I would use a cam in the mid 250's at .050 minimum, an single plane intake and at least 10.5:1 compression. This will also probably require a ~3500 stall minimum and some 4.10 gears. Vacuum will not be good and power accessories will suffer. You could run a smaller cam (maybe something in the 230's at .050) to make the motor more streetable, but partial throttle power will probably be really soft. As far as a peak full throttle number, it will probably be OK with the smaller cam, but lower RPM or partial throttle will most likely not be much to holler about.

Adam
Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

My question here would be, why would you want to run that big a head on the street in the first place?
On the street torque is king, a 170 or 190 port volume w/ some 202's would work so much better, unless you plan on running a pretty steep gear( 411 or higher) and high stall (min 3500) and huge bumpstick those heads will be worthless on the street, those heads are for high reving horspower for the likes of the drag strip. maybe your building a saturdaynight illegal street racer< i duuno, driving that beast to the night's racing spot would be brutal, Id trailer it close then cruise up and waylay the comp.
Goodluck Charles
Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
chevysb400
APPRENTICE

i didn't say i was going to run those heads on the street, i just wanted to know if you could run 220cc heads with 2.08 valves on the street because i hear alot of people say you couldn't, and i've ran across alot of deals on heads like that. just curious
Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

You can run anything if you want really even 18 degree sb2's, drivabilty would be the biggest problem though.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
nobull
SHOW GUEST

Default on a 406

I think it would make a great street motor.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

You could run those on a 327 if you wanted, would it work good, maybe, maybe not. "street" is relative these days. I know guys that run darn near pro-stock engines on the street, is that samrt, not really, but they do it. With that said, on a 406, that really isn't that big a head. If you have any cam in it, they will work good. The one thing I notice a lot of guys talk about, is tq on the street, and its king. Well, if you think about it, if you have a serious car, and, heavens to bid, street race, the guys that do well, are the ones that hook. Hooking on the street is pretty hard to do. So, you build an engine thats soft on the bottom, and pulls like a freight train up top, so, you get out of the gate. Otherwise, it turns into a pedal fest, and you go no place fast.

I have run 240cc, fully ported Dart Pro-1 230's on as small as 380 inch, for a "street" car. The engine was a solid roller, 11.5:1 pump gas deal, that made 600hp, and still made over 500 ft/lbs. It was built with a 350shot in mind, so, the big heads really don't hurt. It was still an animal on the street, at 2800 lbs, with driver, 66 Chevy 2, it went 10.20's at 130mph on the motor, so, if that is respectable, for what most guys would say is to big a head, then, I don;t what to tell you

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

. So, you build an engine thats soft on the bottom, and pulls like a freight train up top, so, you get out of the gate. Otherwise, it turns into a pedal fest, and you go no place fast.
Frank, I like the way you think!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM
chevysb400
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by Pwmax
You could run those on a 327 if you wanted, would it work good, maybe, maybe not. "street" is relative these days. I know guys that run darn near pro-stock engines on the street, is that samrt, not really, but they do it. With that said, on a 406, that really isn't that big a head. If you have any cam in it, they will work good. The one thing I notice a lot of guys talk about, is tq on the street, and its king. Well, if you think about it, if you have a serious car, and, heavens to bid, street race, the guys that do well, are the ones that hook. Hooking on the street is pretty hard to do. So, you build an engine thats soft on the bottom, and pulls like a freight train up top, so, you get out of the gate. Otherwise, it turns into a pedal fest, and you go no place fast.

I have run 240cc, fully ported Dart Pro-1 230's on as small as 380 inch, for a "street" car. The engine was a solid roller, 11.5:1 pump gas deal, that made 600hp, and still made over 500 ft/lbs. It was built with a 350shot in mind, so, the big heads really don't hurt. It was still an animal on the street, at 2800 lbs, with driver, 66 Chevy 2, it went 10.20's at 130mph on the motor, so, if that is respectable, for what most guys would say is to big a head, then, I don;t what to tell you

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
thats what i was thinking, i knew that shouldn't be that big of a head on a 406.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Frank you nailed it " streetable" is a wide used term..to me streetable is able to run it 10 miles one way to a cruise inn or parade and bring it home...

i have a 511 bbc..14 to 1 solid roller..set of worked Big broadie heads (have no idea what they flow)..i would day 340 easy.....
will run high 5.80's in the 1.8th mile ...myself and the wife will run it down the street to the local hamburger joint in the spring and fall..i DO NOT mess with racing or street cruising in this South Carolina summer heat...i will bring back all my toys later september and run all winter long...

Now i like radicial street motors...around the 11 to 1 ratio...but other people like their street motors 9/1 to 10/1.......again preference

You can get into all kinds of debate,,,,how about the 400 block...drill the heads for the steam holes or DO NOT drill the heads ???..i have seen it done both ways w/no problems..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "