BBC oil press sending unit and perf questions

Old 06-11-2007, 04:48 PM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default BBC oil press sending unit and perf questions

I know little about BBC engines.... paid someone thousands to build one and got nothing in return.... diff story and being handled accordingly.

I am now doing what I can to get my car going with what I have - a stock 1978, 2 bolt, 454 from a truck. Couple of questions....

1. Is the electronic oil pressure sending unit on the driver's side, towards the front, bottom corner? Going to a mechanical guage so thinking I remove this electronic sending unit and simply plumb the feed line for my mechanical gauge in - anything else needed?

2. Again this is a 100% stock motor - what are the best performance mods for the buck, based upon the stock set-up I have. I think the compression is 8.8:1? Assuming a head swap might help to raise compression and flow, unless the heads I have are worth keeping?

I assume the rochester carb and intake are junk? just not sure where to start to free up the HP "cheaply".

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

when you say "MODS"...do you mean bolt on stuff etc..i noticed you mentioned taking off the heads etc....if you start doing this then the game plan changes......Yes heads will make a Big Difference for the street..
i recommend the Oval part smaller head for your application if you want to go that route....other wise i would just do the basic Mods as we did back in the late 70's early 80's on our rides in H.S.

1- Good carb..( NOT TOO BIG)...if anything smaller for that motor. 650 holley double pumper is a good choice.Good wires and many extra plugs to keep to keep them fresh..street motors will gas foul every now and then when stop and go in traffic.
2- Good hi-performance HEI ingition..or the 8551 billet MSD dristbuter with 6al box..i personally think the HEI will be good enough.
3- Good set of Hooker 'TUNED" HEADERS with flow master exhaust tied in toward the back side of exhaust...3 inch exhaust pipes minimum.

4- a hydraulic roller camshaft with roller rockers..IF you change heads get the cam package to match....if you do not change cam then roller rockers by themselves will still be a HUGE HELP..in freeing up friction

5- Good aluminum intake desined for the street. if you change heads and cam the will recommend a certain style intake..but the intake alone will help over a cast iron.

we got our stock Motors to run pretty good by goiong what i mentioned above back in the late 70's early 80's...we could squeeze all a small block could give back then with stocks parts...you could also find a pair of double hump 300 horse heads anywhere back then..i can remember paying $20.00 a set for them.

leaving the bottom end alone and replacing the top end with what i mentioned can really wake up your stock BIG block.....i would say $2500 and you could have a pretty nice street Big Block.

thanks

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks - hopefully I can find some oval port heads, intake, and cam package on a budget.

Just did not know if there were "simple" things other then part swaps to help bump up the HP without not much work. Porting, rocker swap...etc... that realy woke up a stock big block?

I have a MSD digital 6 and will use the stock HEI distributor. My headers are OVER KILL big time.... I bought them with the intent of having a 540 BBC and they were big for that motor. Now with a 454 not sure if they will help or hurt over cast manifolds......2 1/8 or 1/4 primary and 4.5" collector. Cannons man, but I went with them think I will lose some torque down low but gain HP up high - what the stock BBC lacks. Think the motor is rated at 250 hp.

Also any one know if the front left sending unit near the pin is oil pressure? and can that be taken out for a mechanical guage hookup without needing anything else?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

It might be a knock sensor if its a blind hole, most all the big blocks I've had the oil sending unit plug was right above the oil filter near the back of the block which is whereve always plumbed my oil gauge.
Oh and I'd put a 150 nitrous plate on it : ) best bang for your buck and when you didnt want all that power you could just putt around on those puny quadrajet primaries.
Zoom Zoom. Charles
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
we got our stock Motors to run pretty good by goiong what i mentioned above back in the late 70's early 80's...we could squeeze all a small block could give back then with stocks parts...you could also find a pair of double hump 300 horse heads anywhere back then..i can remember paying $20.00 a set for them.

thanks
Damn Brain, That makes me feel OLD! You're absolutely right, back then tire smokin' SBC's for a buck or two per horse. And, your advise is spot on. Good set flowing heads, cam & valvetrain, ignition, headers, and intake and carb; MATCHED is best "bang for the buck" for a street performer with a stock block.

P.S. Remember 101Sunoco or Amoco "White Gas" at the pump for around 50cents!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

I remember it at $.19 a gallon when the gas war would be on....Back in the good ole days....$15 in groceries would last 2 weeks for 3 people, one a child...Now back to the bbc mods......
Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

whats your email i may have some parts u need
Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 AM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

[email protected] - any help on parts is greatly appreciated. Already $5000 in the hole on a $1000 motor.

Little problem for you mathmaticians to figure out. Here is a word problem.....

$4000 (lost and nothing to show for it b/c one engine builder turned con man - and still is listed in the racing directory on this site) +$1000 (stock running BBC) = $5000 motor

Freakin awesome isn't it!!!! LOL I have the worst performing BBC for $5000 I bet! Payback are a beotch as they say - in time things will work out.......
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

OUCH! Sorry vincef, didn't know you were one caught up with the unscrupulous builder. (Bet I can guess which one he is.)

I don't fool with to many Big Blocks, but if I can help out anyway......

P.S. Answer to your math question: (2 times SUX) Squared + infinity!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Bummer man, I'd say you have some good karma coming to you by the way your handling it.
He ( the builder) has some bad coming, it will all work out in the end.
Goodluck, Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -