Adjusting wheelie bars

Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Adjusting wheelie bars

Can someone tell me how to adjust wheelie bars? I'm sure they could do as much damage with them as they could with out them if you don't know how to adjust them the correct way! I notice with pro stock they have the tape out checking..(checking for what? Thanks in advance,Bill
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

BUMP.. Nobody uses wheelie bars?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Car information?
Caaaar weight?
Appx Horsepower?
Type of racing?
Tire size?
Suspension type in the rear?
What style of wheelie bars?
Length of wheelie bars?

For what it is worth, I do not believe in slamming down hard on weelie bars. I do consider wheelie bars to be a safety item.

Ed
Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 AM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

1972 NOVA,LADDER BAR CAR.Weighs in at 3,500.Not a real fast car.It has a 502 crate motor pump gas motor running 10.67 in the 1/4 on the motor.Going to spray it with a 200 hit soon and was going to put the wheelie bars on for the nitrous.Im thinking 9.50"s on the spray.The car likes to come up and thinking it will get high on the spray so was going to put on the wheelie bars that came with the car. They are 5ft long.Tire size is 32x14.5x15.Back half car..Type of racing?? Just playing but trying to get down the 1320 as fast as I can. You can see the car and wheelie bars in the trasmission forum where I made a post about a trans problem.There i posted a link to hot rod magazine which shows my car with the wheelie bars.It's best to show you than trying to explain.bill
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

the higher the wheel, the more the front ent will lift when the car pitches up. The lower the wheels the less lift, but it can unload the tires. You have to find the sweet spot that the car likes, with the equipment you have.

Try a hight of 4" see how it works, lower in 1/2" increments and see how the car responds.
wheelie bars are indeed primarily a safty device, but can be used to fine tune the car.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks,Bill
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

I put them on but the best adjustment is 3 inches from the ground to the bottum of the wheel? Thats all the adjustment I can get out of them!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I FIGURED IF I TOOK OFF AND I COULDN'T SEE THE FAR END OF THE TRACK THEY WERE SET TOO TIGHT AND IF ALL I COULD SEE WHEN I TOOK OFF WAS THE "STARTING LINE" THEN THEY WERE WAY TOO LOOSE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[ ROLL ME OVER AND DO IT AGAIN] :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-16-2007, 08:11 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i have my 63 vette at 4 inches..96 inch length solid mount ( no springs)..
i have seen them set to low and un-load a car in a skinny minute.just in case anyone out there reading this doesn't understand the lingo ( un-load)..it just means when the weight transfers to the rear wheels and the tires start to hook (traction)..the wheelie bars if set to low will push the back end of the car up casuing the weight of the car to shift back toward the front causing the car to loose traction...hope someone got something from that...LOL..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Robert1320
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
i have my 63 vette at 4 inches..96 inch length solid mount ( no springs)..
i have seen them set to low and un-load a car in a skinny minute.just in case anyone out there reading this doesn't understand the lingo ( un-load)..it just means when the weight transfers to the rear wheels and the tires start to hook (traction)..the wheelie bars if set to low will push the back end of the car up casuing the weight of the car to shift back toward the front causing the car to loose traction...hope someone got something from that...LOL..

Brian
Great set-up for a big tire car.
On a small tire you may want to get the front up and allow the bars to spring and keep the tires loaded. This can be done within the wheelie bar bracing and track height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -