Then and Now

Old 06-11-2007, 11:32 AM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Then and Now

Just wondering how many of you guys that have had your car for a while have pics of your car when you first got it and what it looked like Then and Now plus any phase in between. For instance, I've had my mustang about 20 years. I have pics when I first got the car and drove it on the street, then I back half it and drove it and raced it, then I modified it into a race car only, then I re-done the race car after the crash and now I'm converting it (67 mustang coupe) into a fastback. Get it? :lol: It would be interesting to see how many of you have done similar transformations of your ride. Start posting if you got em!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
ash
MASTER BUILDER

Well, I've had my Camaro for over 23 years. bought it as a senior in H.S. and did the paint and body work in Vo-Tech along with building the engine.Still has the same paint job(`cept the hood) and the same short block (added different heads and intake) drove on the street when I could. After I got married in `89, it sat for 10 years in a town an hour away so working on it wasn't an every week thing.In the mean-time four daughters came along and take a chunk of time (and $$)Don't get me wrong,...I wouldn't trade them for the world! Just took a little longer then I thought it would.Changed the 4-speed for a Th-400 with a big stall. (gasp!) As it is now, it can run mid-11's on the same tires I use on the street. It gets trophies on occation at car shows, and it's a blast to drive on the street! (although a bit loud!)
c`mon the rest of you....
Old 06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
GBoven72
JOURNEYMAN

The car: 72 cuda. It was bought by my Dad in 72 or 73. I got the car when I was 12, almost 27 years ago. It was a 340 4 speed. It ran mid 14s ( not bad for the day) I started driving it at 15. I drove the car for a few years switching to a 383 , 727 and nos. 21 or 22 tickets in one year later it was time to race the car or put it back to a mellow driver. At 17 or 18 years old I cut the car up to make it in to a race car. < dumb ass. I thought it would be no big deal. Little did I know, you need money to do a deal like that, lol. I drug the shell around for 10+ years before I could aford to work on it. Everyone said sell it, crush it, you will never finish it. In 97 it won Best under constuction. And in 99 I ran the car for the first time. My first real race in the car I went to the 5th round of the Halloween Classic and won the Nightfire the year after. Since then I have won many races and I've had so many great times in that car. I just won a Div race and got my Wally after years of wanting one so bad. Thats my: That was then this is now story.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by ash
Well, I've had my Camaro for over 23 years. bought it as a senior in H.S. and did the paint and body work in Vo-Tech along with building the engine.Still has the same paint job(`cept the hood) and the same short block (added different heads and intake) drove on the street when I could. After I got married in `89, it sat for 10 years in a town an hour away so working on it wasn't an every week thing.In the mean-time four daughters came along and take a chunk of time (and $$)Don't get me wrong,...I wouldn't trade them for the world! Just took a little longer then I thought it would.Changed the 4-speed for a Th-400 with a big stall. (gasp!) As it is now, it can run mid-11's on the same tires I use on the street. It gets trophies on occation at car shows, and it's a blast to drive on the street! (although a bit loud!)
c`mon the rest of you....
How about some pics of what it looked like when you first got it and what it looks like now if you have them? George
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 AM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by GBoven72
The car: 72 cuda. It was bought by my Dad in 72 or 73. I got the car when I was 12, almost 27 years ago. It was a 340 4 speed. It ran mid 14s ( not bad for the day) I started driving it at 15. I drove the car for a few years switching to a 383 , 727 and nos. 21 or 22 tickets in one year later it was time to race the car or put it back to a mellow driver. At 17 or 18 years old I cut the car up to make it in to a race car. < dumb a$$. I thought it would be no big deal. Little did I know, you need money to do a deal like that, lol. I drug the shell around for 10+ years before I could aford to work on it. Everyone said sell it, crush it, you will never finish it. In 97 it won Best under constuction. And in 99 I ran the car for the first time. My first real race in the car I went to the 5th round of the Halloween Classic and won the Nightfire the year after. Since then I have won many races and I've had so many great times in that car. I just won a Div race and got my Wally after years of wanting one so bad. Thats my: That was then this is now story.
Great story, now where are the pics?? :lol: I'll post mine tonight when I get home. I'm at work right now! :shock:
Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
buffjhsn1
CRAFTSMAN

you can click on the thumbnails to see full size pictures....

then....

now...

then...

now...

Old 06-12-2007, 04:38 PM
etbird
MASTER BUILDER

Bought my road runner in 75, daily driver and weekend warrior till 93. Took if off the road and was race only. Last april had the car backhalved with four link. Car is in storage now till new house is done hopefully in August. Then I will fix a few things the chassis builder did and put it back together. Started running mid 14s in 1975,last time out with stock supension it went 9.70s. I will work on the pics.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:32 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Wow Buff, looks like you've done a few projects. Good Job! :wink: Here are some links to how mine started and the stages it's gone thru.

Stage 1 my daily driver in Panama
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...stRaceCar1.jpg

Stage II my street and strip back halfed car
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...tRaceCar17.jpg

StageIII my bracket race only car
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...aceCarII16.jpg

Stage IV my crashed bracket race car
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...aceCarIII3.jpg

Stage V my rebuilt race car
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...aceCarIV13.jpg

Stage VI my coupe to fastback race car project
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/Evmp0755.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/Evmp0752.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/Evmp0750.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/Evmp0748.jpg
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by etbird
Bought my road runner in 75, daily driver and weekend warrior till 93. Took if off the road and was race only. Last april had the car backhalved with four link. Car is in storage now till new house is done hopefully in August. Then I will fix a few things the chassis builder did and put it back together. Started running mid 14s in 1975,last time out with stock supension it went 9.70s. I will work on the pics.
I love Road Runners too. I had a 69 with a 440 and a four speed tranny. It was my first all out bracket car. It wasn't real consistant with the four speed but it was alot of fun. It got stolen while I was in Korea. :cry: Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Hey CobraJet428;

I've had my 1950 Dodge Coupe for 28years now.

Originally found in a back yard in Tullahoma TN in 1979. Original owner parked it out back under an oak tree in 1953, went inside and had a heart attack. His wife wouldn't touch it. She died in '79 and the Son and his wife inherited the home place and started remodel, first time it could be seen from road. I gave $50 bucks for it. Friend that helped me haul said there wasn't enough left to put back on road. Weeds growing inside, all rubber gone. Bottom half of rims rotted away, brake drums on the dirt. BUT it had never been touched. No idiot had zip gunned out the rear fender wells, all the original chrome in place. No dents and nothing missing.

I originally put on the road in 1984 as a daily driver. Completely restored stock looking exterior/ interior. But with a 250L6 Chevy w/glide and '67TorinoGT rear w/ 3:55gears (26-28mpg@75mph)

She's got approx. 486,000 road miles on her now. Been totalled twice. Last time in about '98, got hit in front right and lost original grill and trim. I Fabbed headlite shades outta 16ga, shaved the bumper, and made hood one piece. Then had to shave rear, french turn sig's to match.

She's in the garage now, about 1/2 done. New 355 SBC Blower motor. Front end all welded up into one piece to flip forward. All the goodies except A/C. Winding up body prep for new coat of "Sapphire Blue Metallic". Then she'll be ready for street strip again. And, nobody's ever turned a wrench, fabbed or painted anything on her but me.

The wife swears she'll have to hire a backhoe to bury me, 'cause it'll have to include the car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -