7qt OIL PANS? running with only 4 qts of oil

Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Timmyboy86
CRAFTSMAN

Default 7qt OIL PANS? running with only 4 qts of oil

I've heard the tails about running extremly low oil levels some as low as 3qts total and 4-5 is supposed to be safe what if your not just going straight not that i take hard corners or anything but has anyone run there 4qt engine on the street? i was told to continue to lower the oil level until i noticed a drop in pressure then add half a quart. so are racing pans worth the money or what?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I think you are talking about a Super/Stock trick they use in the FINAL ROUND. It is worth a few horsepower. To me it is not worth the gamble.

I do like to run oil a little below the full mark with a big oil pan but that is just to get the oil futher away from the spinning crank. Has nothing to do with trying to make more horsepower. If it does I don't car. I seek better oil control is my reasons. It is probably woth a few more ponies though.

i SUGGEST THAT IF YOU ARE RUNNING A RACE ENGINE WITH LESS THAN 7 QTS YOU NEED AN OIL ACCUMALATOR FOR EMERGENCIES. Opps caps.

Ed
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

i was told to continue to lower the oil level until i noticed a drop in pressure then add half a quart.
If you notice a drop in oil pressure, then the pump has picked up air,and this air is going into the bearings. Since most oil gauges are slow to respond to pressure changes, the damage to bearings has started.

bearings + oil = :lol:
bearings + air= :cry:
Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

If your looking for a gain of 10/15 H.P. buy a good race pan,don't listen to anyone telling you to run the engine out of oil to find what level to use,that person doesn't know what he is talking about and will cost you a lot of money if you try it. Bill
Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

I have noticed very good gaines in running a little lower oil level. BUT NOT THE 4 QT CAPACITY. For instance my 1000hp Big Duke motor i have deep moroso pan. I think it's 10qt total with a 2qt filter. I lowered down to a total of 8qts and had a 15hp gain at the wheels.. I would say it all depends what type of pan you have. But no way woul i run that as you were saying.. After a run check the dip stick. If it has air bubbles oil level is a little high..
Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

There is a guy at our local track that swears his car runs a tenth quicker, with 2 quarts less oil in a 7 quart pan, I dont know personally but I'm sure its worth some gains however I think his claim is a bit inflated.
If I had to make a desicion between the extra capacity, verses a quicker et or more power? I'd take the extra capacity, besides if your running a good pan with scrapers, windage tray, trap doors etc, the extra oil shouldn't be a problem.
I dont want to be the quickest, just the most consistent.
Charles
Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Timmyboy86
CRAFTSMAN

okay then so whats really needed for a pro street/strip car? i have the proform 7qt pan with a high volume pump and 5/8 tube (was told not to use 3/4) how many qts do you really need? or should i say how big should the pan be and how many qts should you run in it? is it just a question of the deeper pans always better or what? i thought about going to a moroso pan pt# MOR-20110 its a 8qt pan and 10 3/4 deep!!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

You don't want a pan on the street that canbottom out on dips or bumps.

Use what you have. Put in 6 qts of a good 15-40 oil, preferably Dello 400. Buy and install an oil Accumalator and use it. = no oil supply problems.

Ed
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

I have a 7 quart pan and i run around 6 quarts in and do gain a little hp over 7 quarts but will not go lower as at 5 1/2 quarts at the end of the 1/4 mile when i slow down my oil pressure will drop to 20 psi and to me that is not good...so that is why i run at least 6 quarts and at the end of the 1/4 my oil pressure is still up at normal pressure when i slow down..
Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Robert1320
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Interesting Oil info

ENGINE OIL SYSTEM

Now figure at 8000 rpm.
Where is your oil?

1 Qt,1/2 per v/c = Valve Covers
1 Qt = Lifter valley
1 Qt = The oil filter
1 Qt = Oil passages in the block
4 QT
So you have about 1 quart in the pan.

Add in windage from all the leaks listed below

OK, there are many oil leakage points about 100 in a standard V-8 engine.

16 lifter to push rod points
16 pushrod to rocker arm points
32 lifter bores 16 x 2 ends
10 main bearing edges
10 cam bearing edges
16 rod bearing edges
2 distributor shaft leaks
1 distributor shaft to shim

Don't forget about 10 psi per 1000 rpm is good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -