holley 850 base plates & metering blocks

Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
prhjf
JOURNEYMAN

Default holley 850 base plates & metering blocks

I have a pair of holley 4224 carbs. I want to modify them using the holley 850 base plates for better breathing. What Holley 850 base plates should I use for this modification? In addition I want to have a secondary metering body assembly installed on these carbs instead of the metering plate. What would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 PM
ThomasL
APPRENTICE

I have the same question. I used the 34-6 Holley metering blocks on our last set of 660's (late 80's) and they worked great. Now days there are billet blocks offered all over the place. Which ones to use, or just stick to the Holley conversion blocks.?? I have tried to find out which Holley baseplates to use for a while as well. There are also lots of different billet base plates out there now. I have been told by people that have had the baseplate conversion done that it really made a big difference . I could send them out and have someone else put them on, but I'm quite capable of machining the carb bodies, and I think it would be a fun project to dive into. If you find any info on any of this, and it's not on this thread, please send me a PM with anything you can share.
Thank You Tom
Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 PM
prhjf
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks Tim. I looked at my question and saw you had responded.
I bought the Holley 34-6 but didn't put them on yet.
Regarding the base plates I still don't know.
You hear anything let me know.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 PM
ThomasL
APPRENTICE

Still nothing on this :cry: . Well prhjf, I think I may have a line on a buddies old annular discharge 850 that used the same secondary actuation. I found out where it went to, so I will try to get the list # in the next couple of days.
Thanks Tom
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

everyone sleeping except us poor third shift guys lol
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Were you looking for an 850 center squirter? That is the only carb I know of that has the same secondary linkage. I have one if you are.

I liked the 660 center squirters. I usually changed float bowls and modified the secondary linkage to allow more primary opening. I liked the way we tuned them using diffferent diameter wire strands to adjust idel mixture or actually changing the sizes of the pvcr on them by wiring them. Really good carbs at one time.

Ed
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 AM
ThomasL
APPRENTICE

The baseplate off a 4223 850 center squirter works but it would be next to impossible to find two of them. Even if a person could come up with two, it would be a crime to rob parts from them. They belong in a glass case for bench racing purposes or maybe on some sort of nostalga car, not pirated. I have seen in print where a baseplate for a 4781-2 can be used with a 20-3 1:1 conversion kit. The only baseplates Holley shows for the 4781 series carbs is for the 4781-5,6,7, or 8. Personally I'm going to call up one of the many carb shops and buy a set of billet plates, with the buttonhead screws and thinned shafts. Most of them have done this before, and will know what works.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

BLP in Orlando can supply anything Holley you need, they make most of their own stuff. Ask for Joe or Rob.