Ad #877240 / Eagle1 / George Clark / feed back please

Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Default Ad #877240 / Eagle1 / George Clark / feed back please

Ad #877240 http://www.racingjunk.com/post/87724...-Rear-End.html

Well here we go, thought I had found the perfect housing for my project. Demensions were correct, had lamb disc brakes, MW 40 spline axles, and was described as being completely redone. Sounded good, so decided I would buy it and drove 4.5 hours to Conroe. When I arrived the housing was assembled less third member and packaged for shipment. George seemed like and honest guy and nice enough, so I got side tracked with the racing B.S. and didn't inspect the unit thuroughly (my bad). Check the add for pictures and description.

I get the unit home, disassembled and find the right side housing end has been tig welded around each retaining plate hole. In this instance the plate is also the caliper mount. The only reason anyone would weld this is to create permanent shims for caliper alignment. Turns out the housing isn't straight. So I call George and ask him about it. He says he didn't know the welds were there. IMO there is know way you could assemble this thing without seeing the welds on the housing end. So now I have almost 2000 in a bent housing, I sent it to Mark Williams to see if they can repair it and ask George if would pay for the shipping cost and I would take care of the repairs. He offers me fifty bucks, which is an insult, especially when it cost 168 each way.

Bottom line is this guy misrepresented this housing as a MW and it's not, The condition is poor (a little powder coat doesn't make it a good housing). I know I'm a stand up guy and if I sold something and there was a problem with it, I'd do my best to make it right. So I expect the same from everyone else. Bottom line guys, be sure you inspect everything before you make a purchase. I don't guess I can do much, but he does race DIV. 4 and so do I....I'm, sure our paths will cross again! :x
Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Im not sure what the problem is here, blittle, but you probably got a not bad deal for the money.

Im not sure on how strait the housing is , because you really need to put an alignment bar through it to see, but I can tell you if the guy ran it fully assembled, you would never get those 40 spline axles in if the housing was bent any significant amount.
Brake kits usually come with an assortment of shims, to shim the calipers to the rotors, so if someone decided to put a bead of tig around the holes instead of the shims I dont see much problem there myself.
If the housing was out of alignment, (and they can move around with a lot of hard use, depending on how well it has been braced...)
it would be no problem for a local (good) chassis shop to cut off the ends and reweld them back on .
I really see no need to have to send it to mark williams to check it out.
What did mark williams say about this?

Dont get me wrong here, i am not taking sides, I dont know george grimes at all, but if you have priced out this stuff new, I think you got a good deal, even if you have to have the ends realigned.
personally I dont see a scam here at all....
take care.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

I understand what your saying, and he says he never ran the housing. Just claimed to have had everything redone. The main point I was trying to make is that folks really need to pay attention when they buy stuff. I blame myself for this. I should have caught the misalignment and also shouldn't have taken him at his word, instead got caught up BS'ing about racing. But I want to believe most people are trustworthy and inherently good.

I wouldn't have an issue with the tig around the holes if it were all four holes and not just the top two. There is about .080 weld on the end that works out to about .500" or more by the time you get to the axle splines in the center. MW has it now, and I should be talking to them today. The other issue is he said it's an MW housing, and MW says it's not one of theirs. I realize this is a good price for what I puchased, but not if I spend another 800 or 1000 to repair it. As far as the housing ends go, I've built many braced narrowed rear ends and replaced housing ends, I'm perfectly capable of replacing the ends. If was going to that I would have just built one to start with. Which before this is all said and done I may wish I had done just that! I appreciate your feedback though.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Default Ad #877240 Rear housing / George Clark

Heard back from MW today and basically the housing is scrap iron with a pretty paint job. They can't even get a third a member in it to check for straightness. When I called George (Eagle 1 on Racing Junk) about it he got all defensive and hung up on me. Makes me think he new it was bent all along. If he would have acted surprised and offered to make it right I would have a different opinion. Guess we're off to small claims court! :x
Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Good luck and be sure and keep up with all your out of pocket expenses you have incurred.....
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by lotsof454sss
Good luck and be sure and keep up with all your out of pocket expenses you have incurred.....
Thanks,.... I'm just really disapointed it has to come to this...... Takes all the fun out of it when you have to deal with these kinds of people.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by blittle
Thanks,.... I'm just really disapointed it has to come to this...... Takes all the fun out of it when you have to deal with these kinds of people.

I'm not sure that was a good deal from the start. A.R.T. just built me a fab 9" for less than $1100.00 with everything on it including 4 link brks, shock mts, and bracing and i figure by the time i get Strange brakes and 35 spline axles on it, it should be around $2000.00 and everything will be new. I don't know what Lamb brakes cost but probably more than strange.

just my .02

Zip.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by blittle

I'm not sure that was a good deal from the start. A.R.T. just built me a fab 9" for less than $1100.00 with everything on it including 4 link brks, shock mts, and bracing and i figure by the time i get Strange brakes and 35 spline axles on it, it should be around $2000.00 and everything will be new. I don't know what Lamb brakes cost but probably more than strange.

just my .02

Zip.
Well the Lamb brakes and MW 40 spline axles together are over 2000 new. But I'm feeling like I would have been better off to buy new to start with. Especially since I'm 2000 in the hole now. Worse case I can use the brakes and axles, I hope.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Default GO TO JAIL OR NOT??

If your going to take him to court, I myself would leave everything as it was when I recieved it...Also may I ask, Are you not going to seek warrants in this case :?: I am asking because we all want to always give out the best opinion we can to folks that have been scammed, and there are other people looking at this both scammers and victims.....A trip to jail or the chance of having to go always tends to clear the scammers head and open his billfold of the ill gotten buck$..........
Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Default Re: GO TO JAIL OR NOT??

If your going to take him to court, I myself would leave everything as it was when I recieved it...Also may I ask, Are you not going to seek warrants in this case :?: I am asking because we all want to always give out the best opinion we can to folks that have been scammed, and there are other people looking at this both scammers and victims.....A trip to jail or the chance of having to go always tends to clear the scammers head and open his billfold of the ill gotten buck$..........
I haven't modified the housing at all. I just sent to MW to have them inspect. A written statement from them is much better than my word against his,. Just heard back that the axles are OK even though they're 20 years old. The housing is in fact not MW as advertised, basically just a complete misrepresentation. I'm not sure if this is a jailable offense. What can you tell me about the warrants?... I have consulted my attorney and currently waiting for his advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -