oiling system question ATT: ALL BUILDERS

Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default oiling system question ATT: ALL BUILDERS

Ed and any other person with experience with this kind of situation.. i am not a motor builder and never claimed i was one..but i can fine tune the pants off one...LOL...
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ..

i took the pan off my 632 dry sump to verify a few things plus fix a front seal leak..the block had the rear main provision for a oil pump..threaded hole and dowl pin etc..it also has the place for an external filter..i called donovan in california and i got 1/2 of what he was saying..I AM A VISUAL PERSON..anyhow the tech seems to think my block is a wet sump block converted to dry but doesn't know what has been done to the block since leaving Donovan..I completley understand this..he spent more time telling war stories than anything else...anyhow i got the pan off and turned the motor upside down and shined a light up the external oil filter opening..one galley ran 45degree up to the cam shaft oil galley and the 2nd hole was pluged..i took out the plug which was just a hex head plug that has been threaded to go into block...it looked like it traveled over to the oil pump area...on the main where the internal oil pump would go was another plug right beside the thread hole the oil pump stud would go..i assume this would come out also.....to your knowledge is this the only areas that would be plugged ???..is there anywhere else i need to be looking or checking.

any help i would appreciate it any advise here...

2ND QUESTION:
I am looking at wet sump oil pans...my crank is 4.75 stroke sonny brayn't billet crank with crower Titanium rods..the only thing i see in the mail order catelogs is oil pans that will accept a 4.625 stroke rod.

any help here would be appreciated

my engine specs are 4.75 crank.
6.775 crower titanium rod

Thanks- Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Hi,
2nd part of your question is easy.
Moroso,
Stef's,
Billet Fab of Jeff Johnson's
Canton (I think)

All make a welded aluminum pan for your needs. There was a Moroso in the Racing Junk Classifieds a few weeks ago.

1st part of your question, I do not know. I will knock it around with some other guys who may know. I do thik that you may be on the right track though.

We have had several guys here swap from their dry sumps back to wet sumps and not lose any power but lose weight. One did it with a 5.750 stroke crank and still went as quick. We use the Titan Geroter Oil Pumps.

Ed