Fuel sphioning from cell

Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 AM
MoparP214
SHOW GUEST

Default Fuel sphioning from cell

I'm wondering if any one has run into this problem.I have a fuel sphioning problem.I have a 5 gal cell(upright) It's mounted in the trunk. when I take the fuel lines loose at the carb fuel runs out until the cell is approx.2-3 gals left.The system is BG rebuilt 280 -10 in -8 out to reg.(BG)-6 to carb.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:14 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

if the fuel lines at the carb were you disconnect is lower than the fuel level in the tank, it will syphion out.
all that stopping fuel from draining into the engine is the needle and seat.

one time i got my camaro ready to race, filled the rear cell with "good fuel", loaded the car on the trailer and backed it into the driveway, ready to go for the next morning.
The driveway was on a little bit of an angle up, so the back of the car was higher than the front. Well next morning I come out and there is a puddle of gas on the driveway under the engine. Apparently, the needle and seat stuck open, and fuel drained into the motor filling the oil pan with fuel, whcih then leaked out of the dipstick hole in the oil pan (big block)
no racing that day for me... :cry:
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 AM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

lol thats great i have never heard anything like that happening as it is possible... at least everytig was clean from all the gas ....
Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

its the laws of "Gravity'...thats why your alcchol mounted front fuel cells that feed a mechanical pump must be mounted a little rhigher then the fuel pump so it will naturally fedd the fuel pump..

we were speaking in other thread about SPIB installing a manual shut off valve at the tank...if your fuel cell is higher then your carb it would be a great idea for you to place the cut off valve at the tank....you DO NOT see this much with a rear mounted fuel cell..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-28-2007, 01:11 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

bjuice, i feel your pane i had the car up on jack stands and the same thing happened. but i'm dumb and didn't see it and we all no what happened when i hit the key to start it. ooch!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:19 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I HAD A BAD FUEL SYPHONING PROBLEM IN MY RANCHERO FOR 2 MONTHS---THEN I FOUND OUT WHERE THE LAWN MORE GAS WAS COMING FROM AND THE NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS LAWN MOWER,!!!!!!! TOO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-29-2007, 02:17 AM
dart441
APPRENTICE

I run a fuel shutoff at the back of my car. fuel feeds down out of the tank and to the shutoff. Then to the filter and then the pump (electric) and on to the carb. My reasoning for the shutoff is that I can service the fuel filter w/o draining the tank. That's the only reason it's there and a cable tie keeps it from vibrating closed.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Dart , where did you get your fuel shut off? moroso ? thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM
MoparP214
SHOW GUEST

I appreciate the held I found a P.O.S in the back needle and seat.I reset the float levels.It seems to have worked.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

I got mine from Earls. I never had a siphoning issue, but wanted a shutoff valve because my POS chrome fram filter kept leaking.

http://www.holley.com/types/Shut-off%20Valves.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -