Anyone know what it takes to put big block in a 83 camaro

Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 AM
triplexdogg08
APPRENTICE

Default Anyone know what it takes to put big block in a 83 camaro

Trying to find out exactly what would be involved in putting a bbc engine in a 83 camaro. right now it is set up for sbc. thx to all
Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

your gonna have your work cut out for you..its not a drop in situation here.
you will have to address the motor mount situation. i would just go with a front motor plate and by pass this altogether,,,another problem with these cars is the clearance in the sub-frame cradle area...Causing header and oil pan clearance problems....while you have the small block or engine you now have in the car, you can address this situation in 1 of 2 ways..you can go back with tublar sub-frame or you can have the cradle cut and box plated to give you the extra clearance you will need.
IF YOU ARE NOT handy with a Plasma cutter with Good welding skills, you may run into a cost effective decision...#1- hire someone to cut /box/plate the cradle, with front motor plate #2 buy the factory bolt in tublar kit.

the tub kit would also saye you some serious weight...

unless someone has taken a 1983 camaro and placed a bIG block in it ..you are most likley gonna have to trial and error this one on your own.

by the way they do make a hooker header for this year body style car, small and big block.

Good luck.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
123car
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default 79 camaro (hey bjuice)

Hey Brian, Will I have the same problems putting my 496 bbc in my 79 camaro. Thanks Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 01:52 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Anything will fit anywhere, if you have a big enough shoehorn (i.e. torch and welder). Trust me, I put a 460intercepter out of a CrownVicky TN state patrol car into a 1974 GREMLIN X! Everything had to be hand fabricated.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 79 camaro (hey bjuice)

Originally Posted by 123car
Hey Brian, Will I have the same problems putting my 496 bbc in my 79 camaro. Thanks Mike
don't quote me on this Mike but i think your model is a little more forgiving when swaping a big block from small block..close to the same with a 1st gen camaro....keep in mind also when you take factory small block car and place a big block in the car you normally have to change the front springs to a stiffer "big block" spring or your front end will sag..

Good luck

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 AM
123car
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

thanks brian
Old 05-26-2007, 05:52 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

On the 3rd gen, I think that you also must delete the AC box on the firewall. Some years ago, I knew some guys that had the BB in a 84 Camaro and they had gotten parts from Ed Quay for the installation and they ran the motor plate.

Bill M
Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

bbc go right in a 82-92 easily just have minor clearance issues with heater box if u have one....buy u some headers made for the car and your will be fine... hedman sells em pretty cheap; i had a 83 that is currently for sale by the new owner on here had a 406 sbc 60ft with the back tires to 1.26 with sensatrac shocks on the rear and the stock front k memebr with 90 10 up front.... in my opion f bodys of that stle have a great suspision design ... build u a good tubular torque arm and boc the factory ctrl arms and pan hard rod and use the factory sway bar... car will hook hard on track and the street......if u need more advice just pm me i know all about em built it and had it for 8 years...
Old 05-27-2007, 05:04 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

As Brian said, a lot easier to put big blocks in 2nd gen camaros...mostly a bolt in.. I seem to remember early 701/2, maybe 71 or 72 you could order the camaro ss with a big block, 402 I think it was.
I put a 427 in a 75 camaro years ago, motor mounts were the only thing you need to have the right ones. Front end went down a bit, but we did not change the springs. They were the original small block springs.
And of course you can buy headers for these things off the shelf.
The biggest problem you will have is that with a high rise intake, the carb will not fit under the hood, so a hood scoop will be needed.

As far as the 3rd gen camaros, well these days you can put any motor in anything if you want to work at it a bit... I cannot seem to remember anyone around here that has done it, but I am sure there are many bigblocks hiding in 3rd gen camaros out there.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 AM
123car
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default bbc in a 79 camaro

Thanks Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -