P/S Or More HP?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:35 AM
nascarlatemod06
JOURNEYMAN

Default P/S Or More HP?

My race car has no power steering... The Steering system is setup for power steering though... So I'm just assuming that whole P/S system was removed for the gain in HP... My question is: Is it really worth the gain in HP to remove the P/S system? Or should I add it back on?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:53 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Power steering takes very little H.P. to operate,unless you are running a class that is extremely limited in H.P. I would go back to the power steering for the better handling and ability to use a faster ratio.Bill
Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

I agree with Bill (and he would definitely know), however, be aware that as soon as I swapped my '69 stepside over to P/S, I can't keep my leadfoot wife out from behind the wheel! That reminds me, I need a new pair of 50's out back now too.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:04 PM
nascarlatemod06
JOURNEYMAN

Lol Alrighty than... P/S Pump is going back on! Thanks guys
Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

When I was racing with my BB Chevys and also driving those on the street. I never had to make the decision. My engine made that decision for me. I lost the power steering belt every pass until I just said forget it. I did have a clutch car though so that might make a difference.

Ed
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

POWER STEERING IS JUST ONE MORE THING TO SCREW UP GOING 100 MILES AN HOUR THAT CAN GET YOU KILLED VERY FAST!!!!- ops: -I WILL TAKE MANUAL STEERING ANY DAY FOR A CAR SCREAMING DOWN A DRAGSTRIP---BEEN THERE/ HAD BAD EXPERIENCES/ WON'T DUE IT AGAIN :? :?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

My old 73 nova had a power steering unit on it that was on the car when I got it with the holes plugged up on the gear box where the lines went, it was very hard to drive in the pits with that thing but I dealt with it cause like the others said its just something else to either get you killed on the big end our put you out of the race for a leak or something stupid like that.
I came across a manual box for my nova and I thought I had power steering it was so nice, not to mention it was considerabliy lighter than that p/s unit so I chunked it and never looked back.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by lively
POWER STEERING IS JUST ONE MORE THING TO SCREW UP GOING 100 MILES AN HOUR THAT CAN GET YOU KILLED VERY FAST!!!!- ops: -I WILL TAKE MANUAL STEERING ANY DAY FOR A CAR SCREAMING DOWN A DRAGSTRIP---BEEN THERE/ HAD BAD EXPERIENCES/ WON'T DUE IT AGAIN :? :?
Going by the guys handle nascarlatemod06 I assumed it was a circle track car he was asking the question about.Bill
Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i am with Livley...MANUAL STEER for me also..to easy to over steer a power steer drag car....if you cannot find a manual box ..you can plug (loop) the power steer and have it re-worked for a quicker ratio and a different pitmit arm that will suit the dragstrip...My wifes 69 camaro is a power steer i looped the lines and with her 3 inch rims and front runners..its not that bad for her even in the pits....now a street car with 8 inch front wheels can be a bitch with plugging a power steer as you probably know already..

brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-19-2007, 07:34 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Bill Hendren wrote:
Going by the guys handle nascarlatemod06 I assumed it was a circle track car he was asking the question about.Bill
Bill,
You are correct and he had some of the posts which are no more. He has recently picked up the car (a Buick Regal with 350 and manual 3-speed) and the previous owner had done a lot of option deletes .... sway bar link, front shock, oil dipstick, and the power steering pump.

nascarlatemod06
I don't see how you could have the "feel" of the car with a power steering box and no pump. So, I think that what small amount the ps pump would use that you could make it up in handling. But, I guess it would depend on the speeds, size of the tires, and the type of track. I don't have any experience on this, but just a thought.

Bill M