Nitromethane

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Nitromethane

Has anyone tryed a shot of nitromethane with their methanol engines(20 or 30%)?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Robert1320
JUNIOR BUILDER

Have you priced it lately?
Holy Chit...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 AM
dart441
APPRENTICE

Yes with injected BBC. At 10% almost no change, at 30% about .29 sec in an altered. Not work messing with unless you go to 50% or more. However, don't start at 50%. If you want to play then start at 10-20 and work your way up.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

you better have some really good stuff in the bottom end of the engine set up..or you will bring it home in a box..
Nitromethane keeps exploding and expanding the entire length of the stroke and more if it could..so this means if you have cheaper parts as rods, piston,crank department it will push them straight thru the bottom of the oil pan...when the Top fuel funny car guys lose cylinders.most of the time its the nitro taking out cylinders..of course this is at 90%....

all it takes is one mixture too strong and your done..

i go-cart raced back in the early thru the late 80's..and we would run this stuff in our GO-CART motors....unfreakin real what it would do..

i am not saying DO NOT use it...but i am saying please do your home work on this stuff and fully understand how it works..

the Funny car guys are lobbying to bring back the Higher content of Nitro mixture. they claim it will be easier on parts in that they would not have to run their compression ratio's soo high that is currently needed to give the initial POP on the piston at the begining of the stroke.....

my cost on Nitro back when i sold it 6/1/2006..this was ANGUS brand.

500lbs nitrofuel 100 $1,150 w/d- $825.00
500lbs VP nitro 100 $1,000 w/d-$750.00
500lbs = 52.3 gallons

RETAIL W/D
1 gallon- $48.00 $25.44
5 gallon- $194.00 $115.70
15 gallon- $454.65 $344.10
30 gallon- $881.70 $667.20

This was a year ago..its probably up like the rest of the fuel.

compared to most of VP exoctic fuels the price is very reasonable considering you would mix 50%.....

look at this price tag on c-44
54 gallon drum- retail $2,400

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

the only time i ever used it was to flip a vw micro bus. boy does it work :lol: :lol:
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

I don't know much about nitro,what(compression,cam,timing,jetting,etc.)the engine should have but I'm set up with methanol already so I was just thinking about it. But I would like to know more about it.

My engine is a 434sbc,enderle bugcatcher injected,brodix11x heads,lunati .630 lift cam #50140 and 1.6 int. and 1.5 ex. rockers,13.5:1 JE pistons,oliver H beam rods,lunati crank #A0211.

My 1700lb altered runs 8.24 at 157mph and would love to hit the high 7's.

Any advise or changes on adding 20 or 30% nitro?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

to my knowledge there is nothing you could change now without having to go into the motor..its always good to have o-oringed block to help hold in the newer cylinder pressure that will be introduced...Cometic head gaskets with STUD next best thing..

if i were you i would call ENDERLE INJECTION out in California and ask to speak with Jim...he can get you really close on where your jetting should be running 20% Nitro...very nice guy that doesn't mind taking a few minutes to speak with you...
i cannot help to think that you would have to change the jetting to run FUEL...and i would say it would be going toward the fatter side..

other than this..i would just start small and work up....i know it was said 10% was no difference in another set up..this doesn't mean it will NOT make a difference in your set up..

So i would start at 10% and work up very slowly...YOU CANNOT afford to overdo this ...its not forgiving if you over do it...

i DO see you being able to pick up 3 tenths easy with FUEL....JUST BE PREPARED for whatever happens to your internals *( which is good stuff by the way)..its going to take a hit like its never taken in the past.

just rememeber the fuel funny cars...they are changing out motors almost between every other pass...FUEL is the main reason for.....if you do not mind breaking something..YOU WILL GO FAST WITH FUEL..

Good Luck

thanks Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

I seem to remember you need a lot less compression for nitro. Probably depends on the % you want to run.
Lots of good info here www.hre.com
or an excellent injection manual with a chapter on nitro here www.kenlowe.com/au
Old 05-24-2007, 05:11 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks for the comments and info guys! My engine is o-ringed and studded through out so I'll say it should be good :roll:
I have talked to Jim at Enderle Injection in the past about a different matter but ya I'll give him a call.
I'm always open to more comments,thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 AM
dart441
APPRENTICE

At 13.5:1 I wouldn't want to see you run much more than 30%. And was said by more than just me, start at 10% and work your way up. I have the conversion formulas for jetting enrichment w/ various percentages but due to the differences in specific gravity between methanol and nitromethane you really need to invest in a decent hydrometer. Kinsler has a good one and for the 0-50% model, it'll set you back about $130 +. Don't try to mix the stuff by volume. 3 gal nitro and 7 gal methanol doesn't compute to 30% w/ a hydrometer. Even temperature will change the percentage. Single batch (per run) mixing is recommended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -