Shroud question

Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Default Shroud question

I have never run with a shroud and do not think it is necessassary, but want some honest opinions from you guys.

Remember this is street/strip car

Last engine never got above 190 at the track with a stock 4 blade fan.

This one has an 8 blade flex on it.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

chevy65, if the car isn't over heating then forget it. i run them because i'm stupid and keep putting my hand in the fan. :lol: they do help in cooling when needed.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:57 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING :? :twisted: :twisted: ---NAW I CAN'T HELP MYSELF-----BUT--- JUST SHUT UP LIVELY :? :?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
I WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING :? :twisted: :twisted: ---NAW I CAN'T HELP MYSELF-----BUT--- JUST SHUT UP LIVELY :? :?
Ahhh come on man speak up....

I won't get mad...honest :shock:
Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

I dare ya lively...I double dog dare ya
Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

SLOWMAN---THE SIGN SAYS PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS HAIR DRYER IN THE SHOWER!!!----OLD AGE GUY. OLD AGE----ONLY KIDDING I CAN'T SAY WHAT ELSE I NEEDED TO SAY[ ops: ops: ]---I ONLY RAN THE TOP HALF OF THE SHROUD ON MY SBF TO PROTECT MY FINGERS ---IF IT RUNS COOL ENOUGH WITHOUT IT THEN THE SHROUD IS JUST EXTRA WEIGHT TO HAUL 8)
Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

lively, i was wondering way my hair never dried when using it in the shower. ops:
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 AM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

:lol: You guys are hillarious! Moving parts bite!

Anyways, shrouds are designed to speed up airflow through the radiator when your sittin' still or slow moving. Same as flex fans, draw more at low rpm, less at high. Improves Thermotransfer of heat in traffic.

So, if your experiencing heat up problems in the "waiting line" you may need one. But, once you nail it off the light, the speed of the car provides all the incoming air, so it becomes useless.

Where's your problem area?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

I am not sure if it will be a problem, we are just finishing up installing a new engine and the guy doing the work wanted to install a shroud, I am just not sure it will need it yet.

The engine has a 160 thermostat and is set up to run fairly cool.

My old engine never saw anything above 190 at the track or in traffic so I think at this point it would be a waste, besides I take it to show n shines and don't want an ugly old shroud in the way of my engine.

If I need extra cooling I will probably change to electric fans.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevguy65
I am not sure if it will be a problem, we are just finishing up installing a new engine and the guy doing the work wanted to install a shroud, I am just not sure it will need it yet.

The engine has a 160 thermostat and is set up to run fairly cool.

My old engine never saw anything above 190 at the track or in traffic so I think at this point it would be a waste, besides I take it to show n shines and don't want an ugly old shroud in the way of my engine.

If I need extra cooling I will probably change to electric fans.
Carl I think the shroud would be a good idea,for help keeping it cool and safety reasons,(getting fingers cut,don't ask me how I know)

Also I prolly run like a 195 therostat in the engine to get the engine temps up to keep condensation out of it and get a better burn on the fuel,engines like this,running 160 have trouble keeping the spark plugs clean and washing the cylinders down,It could cause you some grief and a lack of HP too boot.

I think running it at 160 is not going to be the hot ticket for your street car,put a shroud on it and a 195 thermostat and let it rip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -