which head? pontiac 23 degree by hrd or brodix 11 x cnc keit

Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
badbug3
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default which head? pontiac 23 degree by hrd or brodix 11 x cnc keit

Which would be the better power making head. A set of sbc pontiac heads done by HRD for hendrick motorsports or a set of keith craft 11 x sp cnc brodix. Although i will be using these on a blown application, still i have a chance to buy the pontiac heads with big block jesel rockers machined down for the sbc hendrick motorsport nascar application with titanium valves and hendrick valve covers to clear the larger jesel rockers and a fully ported and prepared by hrd bowtie intake manifold. It will cost a little more to get the brodix with regular t and d rockers and it will only have stainless valves and no manifold. Which would be the better choice? The pontiac heads cost $6000 to hendrick i was told with rockers and manifold several years ago . It was one of the last sets prepared by hrd for hendrick before the 18 degre stuff came out. They have only 50 passes on them in a drag monza. They ran 8.50's in a monza with 388 cubes and kinsler injectors on alky. Whats your opinion?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
bigg
SHOW GUEST

11x
Old 05-10-2007, 08:49 PM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

The new brodix 11X will be miles past the old nascar stuff.
Al at HRD does nice work, .. so this is in no way saying anything
bad about him.

More important, . . what is the engine combo, engine size, .. bore stroke, etc.
you need to match the proper cylinder head to the application, ..

Brodix castings hold up very well under extreme use, ..
but for most blower applications I use Dart heads, .. and for a small
block I'd use the Dart 220 with spread port exhaust.

Curtis
Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 PM
badbug3
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default application is for 4.125 bore, 3.750 stroke, blown alky sbc

not looking to go overboard on boost but looking for somewhere around 900 hp with bug catcher and 8-71 alky blower. These hrd pontiac heads really look nice and those hd rocker arms do too. Compression to be around 11-1 before boost. I had no idea about the flow ability of the hrd pontiac 23 degree heads compared to the 11x spread port brodix heads.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:01 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

i wouldn't run the pontiac stuff on my lawnmower!!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:58 AM
perfconn
JOURNEYMAN

If they are really the 867 Pontiac heads they were made by Brodix and are actually the 10X castings.You need to verify what they actually are because most Cup teams were laying those heads over to 18* before the real 18* stuff came out.They may be a killer set of heads.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:06 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

You may want to look at the SB2.2 stuff,with the correct heads and flow numbers in the low 400 range you can make your 900 H.P. without the blower.The 8-C Hendrick head has a 322 C.C. int runner and would work well in a blower,turbo or N20 application.Bill
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 AM
badbug3
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default i cant make 900 normally aspirated hp and make my boat move

I have to have the torque to make my boat go. the blower makes the torque down low to get boat moving. I doubt the 900 hp normaly aspirated motor would have enough torque to work properly regardless of how much hp it had. Also i dont have to run such a large cam with the blower to make the power, nor do i need to run such a high compression. remember this is a dual purpose boat and maintenance is an issue. I also have one gear and no way to leave line except on motor power alone. No torque converter or stall situation to deal with. I need the torque at 3500 rpms.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

I wasn't referring to engine alone,if the engine has cyl heads capable of making 900 H.P. without the blower with the blower you can get by with very low boost.with a blown engine you can go way up on cam without loosing torque,we use way more cam in our blown stuff than normally aspirated.Bill
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

there's know way in hell i'm running a power adder with the old nascar 867 pontiac head. you go ahead and use them and find out the hard way. like cboggs says there not even close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -