Oil Pan Gasket

Old 04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
nascarlatemod06
JOURNEYMAN

Default Oil Pan Gasket

I've got a SBC 350 in an 80's Regal. I noticed when i gave the engine some gas in the shop and got the RPMS up the oil pan gasket is leaking.... Looking under the car it almost looks like you have to hoist the engine to get that oil pan off.... Anybody had any experience with this? Its a small leak at the front.. is there an easier fix?

Also... Anybody know any hidden funky places to find the oil fill? I've been all over the engine and i've yet to find it, nor could any of my buddies... I don't see anything but the breathers on the valve covers, nor anything on the block... Im ready to just pop open the valve covers and dump it in there......

Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I would say you have a rear mainseal leaking rather than a gasket if it leaks only when running, it will look like it is coming from the rear of the pan but it really coming from right above it where the rear seal is.
before pulling the valve covers buy a chilton manual or look in the owners manual to find the oil filler cap.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

You probably won't find that combination in a Chilton's manual for the Regal. The Buick Regal that I had years ago was originally a V6 that I installed a V8 into it. But get a manual and look at some of the other vehicles that had the 350 to find the Removal and Replacement methods necessary for the V-8.

The oil fill would be to pop one of the breathers and put it in through the valve cover. Only the older 262? 283 327 had a separate oil fill provision tube in the intake.

Correct on it most likely being the rear main seal needing replacement, but make sure that PCV valve isn't stuck and that the breathers in the valve covers are not stopped up. These problems can cause the crank pressure to elevate and push oil out the rear main seal.

If you do have to pull the pan, you do have to unbolt the motor mounts and just about pull the motor out to get the clearance.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
perfconn
JOURNEYMAN

If its really coming from the front and the engine has a lot of miles the harmonic balancer probably has a groove wore in it by the timing cover seal.They make a sleeve kit to fix it if thats what you find.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

i second perfconn
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
nascarlatemod06
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by sp2816
You probably won't find that combination in a Chilton's manual for the Regal. The Buick Regal that I had years ago was originally a V6 that I installed a V8 into it. But get a manual and look at some of the other vehicles that had the 350 to find the Removal and Replacement methods necessary for the V-8.

The oil fill would be to pop one of the breathers and put it in through the valve cover. Only the older 262? 283 327 had a separate oil fill provision tube in the intake.

Correct on it most likely being the rear main seal needing replacement, but make sure that PCV valve isn't stuck and that the breathers in the valve covers are not stopped up. These problems can cause the crank pressure to elevate and push oil out the rear main seal.

If you do have to pull the pan, you do have to unbolt the motor mounts and just about pull the motor out to get the clearance.
Those breathers may be clogged... they look filthy.... they are definately one of the things i was gonna get around to changing soon...
Dumping oil down the breather tube works for me But how the would I go abotu checking the level... I guess I could just watch oil pressure light
Yeah the oil leak in coming from the very front of the engine. Im pretty sure its coming out of that gasket
Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

When you said oil fill, I didn't realize that you were looking for the oil fill level tube or dipstick. If the motor is a pre-1980 motor, the dipstick is supposed to be on the driver's side of the block between cylinders #5 and #7. The block sticks out just a little farther than the head and there would be a hole that the tube is pressed in. If it is a 1980-1985, the dipstick is on the passenger side and the spot on the block is just in front of the starter and is down low, just above the top of the oil pan. If it is after 1985, it would have the one piece rear main seal and the dipstick tube would be on the passenger side. Sounds like somebody left it out and plugged the hole. They are different lengths and styles depending on the side of the block.

Perfconn is correct about the timing cover seal and balancer. I was thinking rear of the motor, sorry.

Another thing that can cause the leak around the front is if the timing chain and cover have been replaced and the improper rubber timing cover to oil pan seal was used. There are two different thickness rubber seals that can be placed in the timing cover, depending on which cover and pan is being used.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 PM
nascarlatemod06
JOURNEYMAN

I pulled both breathers off and one of them had 2 holes down the tube leading into the engine, so I assumed that's where previous owner poured oil, and dumped mines in.... I tightened the crap out of the 2 front oil pan bolts hoping that'll help out with the leak a bit.. I fired up the car for about 45 seconds in which i reved the engine twice then it ran out of gas But i looked at where it was leaking and it had a little oil there but not even enough to drip... So hopefully tightening it helped, but i guess we'll see when I refill her up...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Jeff, glad to see you and perfconn kissed and made up.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

i always agree when someone gives good info or there right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -