BBC Starter

Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
vwdragster
APPRENTICE

Default BBC Starter

I would appreciate any help with my starter problems! I have a BBC with a GenVI Bolck an a Gen IV crank(Cola). It has a Jw Wheel and a powermaster starter. The starter pinion seems too far away from the flywheel. There is 1/2" between the starter pinion and the flywheel. The pinion only goes about a 1/4 of the way into the flywheel. What is the problem? :x
Old 04-24-2007, 04:47 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i saw this once before with "jw" the wheel....the person put the wheel on backwards..its easy to do beacuse it can be balanced with the flex plate to either side and they do not indicate which side goes to motor....look at the flywheel it has the ring with the fly wheel teeth going to one side..if you flip the flywheel with the off-set teeth toward the starter it will line right up as long as you have the proper starter for the tooth fly wheel that you have..........let me know what you found out.

thanks brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
vwdragster
APPRENTICE

Thanks for responding. I triple checked the flywheel and the offset is towards the starter. I bought the crank and flywheel with a motor and changed the block( a very long and difficult story!). The flywheel is installed the same way it came off the crank. I emailed powermaster three days ago and have not gotten a response. The starter was supposed to fit a Gen VI chevy. I have another starter and have the same problem(the one that came with the Gen IV block). I have been building this car for about a year and this is last thing left to do! :evil: Any other ideas?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:04 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

You are doing the right thing by checking the numbers on the starter with power master..Please tell them what style block you have and have them cross reference what starter suppose to work with that block which i do not think would matter but at least exclude this as being a potential problem...when i have these type of toe stumping problems i try to isolate the issues..example
1- its got to be the wrong tooth flywheel
2- got to be the wrong starter for the fly wheel /block.

a couple of more questions..

1- what tooth is your flyweel?
2- what is the bolt pattern on the block (starter location) staggerd or standard
3- is the motor internally or externally balanced?
4- have you tried to pull out the starter gear with a pair of needle nose pliers etc...

they (powermaster) makes this starter for 2 different flywheels..#1 168
tooth (part#9500) #2 153 tooth (part#9502)

if you have a 168 tooth starter on a 153 tooth flywheel then that could be your problem.

this problem can be worked out i assure you..its gonna end up being something simple such as a wrong part etc....but please count the teeth on your flywheel 1st thing to double check.( do not take someones word)

crossing fingers for u

brian

Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
vwdragster
APPRENTICE

Default starter

Thanks for the advice Bjuice. It has a 168 tooth flywheel and the motor is internally balanced. The block has the mounting holes for a staggered starter, but it also has two holes for the convential type. The new starter is a powermaster P/N 9426. I bought it because it said it fit the Gen VI and I was hoping it would move the starter closer to the flywheel. I emailed Powermaster and they said they have seen this before, but had no solution. I contacted JW and they also told me to check and make sure the flywheel is offset towards the starter. I was wondering if a factory GenVI starter( such as off a truck) would move the starter pinion closer to the flywheel. I might take one of my starters to Napa and see if there is any difference. Still trying to figure this out, and any suggestions are appreciated! 8)
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Dang man !!..i threw all the know how at this situation....the only thing left to try is some different starters...i would do just as you said..i would go to NAPA and talk them into letting you take one of their starters to bolt up..you may want to explore the off-set bolt pattern...the one they use on the newer corvette is the one we use on my wifes 400...it has good power etc...

Please let me know when you find this out...i would like to know the answer here...

thanks and good luck- Brian

Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

Did you buy the starter new? The ones I use come with shims that go between the gear reduction head and the starter housing. You can use the shim to move the bendix toward or away from the flywheel. With a JW wheel I have had to take the shim out. The head should bolt on with 3 bolts, remove the bolts and take the head off, remove the shim and there should also be a shim behind the bearing, take them out and put it back together. The starter I use is not a powermaster, but a CSI, but they are built the same way I think.
Randy
Old 05-06-2007, 03:02 PM
vwdragster
APPRENTICE

Yes, the starter was new and there is no shim between the starter and the mounting plate. Jw and Powermaster were not much help. I appreciate the advice guys! I will keep working on it and get it fixed. I was hoping there would be a simple answer, I guess not! Been there done that. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Default STARTER

VW, Just a snot in the dark, there are 4 bolt holes on the starter. Which 2 do you have the bolts in, the 2 on the right or the 2 on the left ? Don
Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM
vwdragster
APPRENTICE

Default starter

I think I have the starter problem solved. I cranked it up last night and everything seemed to work good. I modified the one starter gear to be closer to the flywheel. Why I had to do this, I and many others don't know! I got a lot of puzzled looks when I asked some friends at the racetrack. One guy said they saw the same problem and had to modify the starter. Anyway, it felt great to crank it up again! I should be able to go test in a week or so. Thanks again guys for the ideas! It made me feel better to get some feedback from some other racers. When in doubt, fix it yourself! 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -