Getting started in dirt track fun

Old 05-31-2017, 08:58 AM
RSCOTT9399
SHOW GUEST

Default Getting started in dirt track fun

So about 10 years ago i was living in PA and dirt racing was a big deal. At the time i worked for a guy that raced pro stock and had a friend who raced late models
I always wanted to get involved but could barley afford to eat
Now days i have a few extra bucks to my name and im thinking about getting involved.
Im very mechanically inclined, built several hot rods but dont know much about dirt racing.

thinking of doing a few different things.

Possibly building a car or buying one.
It seems my track choices are limted where i am at and are all over an hour away which sucks

I have no interest in sprints. For some reason i have this weird mental issue with open wheel cars.
Locking wheels with another guy and tumbleing end over end is not high on my list.

But again, maybe my fear is unfounded given i dont know much about it

Im just not really super excited about 4 cylinders. Which leaves me with stock cars or street stocks

I know the ideal situation would be to go to the local track and get to know some people. Walk the Pitts and talk to some guys. Which i will probably do. most likely this weekend.

Only two options for tracks i have are Fort Morgan in Colorado and also el paso county speedway in Calhan colorado.

Anyone care to share how they got started? If your familiar with those two tracks and want to make some recommendations possibly?
Thanks in advance