Bobby Allison's Vintage NASCAR HAULER - Looking for Original Owner

Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 AM
browzer
APPRENTICE

Default Bobby Allison's Vintage NASCAR HAULER - Looking for Original Owner

My old hauler is a real beauty... made in 1966 and was customized by Holman Moody. Holman did 12 total haulers in this similar style I'm told.

I purchased the rig off of the Hagerstown Speedway a few years ago. The title said it last changed hands in 1976. In the late 70's and 80's the speedway sponsored Bobby Allison. I'm told Mr Allison would race a NASCAR event one week and if the money was good he'd be racing a dirt track the next week. On a side note I asked my old landlord Bucky who raced at the Hagerstown Speedway if he ever raced against Allison, and he shot back: "Yes I did, and I beat him... I had rent due that week...!"

I have photos of Bobby's dirt car on the back of this exact truck in the 1980's so that fact is proven. My wish is to find who this truck was assigned to when it was built in 1966. Any productive leads or photos greatly appreciated. There is Petty Blue paint under the front fender wells... that sorta added to the mystique when I purchased the truck in 2004.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bigred.jpg (62.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

That is very cool!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 PM
bubbasblazers
SHOW GUEST

I can ask Mel Joseph Jr. I believe Bobby drove for Mel Sr.. I race with him in a vingage class in Delaware.Last season I got to take a pic with Bobby when he was at our local dirt track. If I can figire out how to post it I will. I should see Mel Jr. In the next few weeks.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:05 PM
scooterrolls
SHOW GUEST

Why don't you contact Bobby directly? I run into him or his brother in the local stores every once in a while, in the Mooresville N.C. His shop is still up on Hwy 70. Try Allison Legacy series for contact info.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:31 PM
browzer
APPRENTICE

Hey Bubbasblazers, I just found BLUE paint on the top of the rig. There is blue paint under the fender wells and rumor was this was Petty's truck. The photo I have of Petty's truck the wipers are mechanical and my truck they are vacume. My guess this was a Ford Racing Team truck originally when it was built in 1966. Ever get a chance to talk to Mel Sr ask him about a big blue, or repainted red hauler. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:32 PM
browzer
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by scooterrolls View Post
Why don't you contact Bobby directly? I run into him or his brother in the local stores every once in a while, in the Mooresville N.C. His shop is still up on Hwy 70. Try Allison Legacy series for contact info.
Bobby Allison has some memory issues related to the big crash that put him off the track. I've asked him and he doesn't recall. Very nice fellow to talk with.