no flow

Old 04-15-2016, 04:36 AM
cervidog
CRAFTSMAN

Default no flow

Have had my sbc assembled and on a stand for about a year now. couple day ago put a drill on pump drive tool and spun ,got 40 lbs on gauge. Ran drill/pump for about five mins. and had vary low flow out of four rocker arms? rotated engine several times while pump was running and no change!Used assembly lube when I put motor together and have no restrictors in motor.And of course I`m pretty dam sure cam bearings are in right?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 AM
jayvee34
SENIOR BUILDER

Seeing as how the engine has been sitting for about a year, the bypass plunger
and spring in the oil pump could be stuck in a position as to not allow full
pressure. Another thought is to much clearance on the crank mains and rod insert
bearings. I would pull the pan, check the spring tension, and plunger on the pump bypass, also check you clearances while the pan is off. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:38 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

One thing I have seen that will cause this is lifter bore clearance. On my race engine I have a little more lifter bore clearance than I like and I have heck trying to get oil to the rocker arms with a primer. Zero problems once the engine is running. This can be easily verified with the intake off, but little tougher with it on. I can't say with absolute certainty that this is your problem, just something else to look at. I was surprised at how much oil the lifter bores will dump when you are spinning it with a primer.

Curtis