View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I know a couple guys that don't check ANYTHING just bolt the shit together and hope for the best. They really trust the machine shop. NOT ME. I check everything that I am capable of checking on my own. I ball mic the bearings and mic the crank to get my oil clearance. I do have a dial bore but not a real good one, so I have the machinist measure the rods and main bores to give me the number to do the math....I used to try and torque the bearings in the rods and mic the crank and zero the dial bore to the mic but didnt like scratching the bearings and don't trust my technique with dial bore too good...so I went to the ball mic way.

I once had my crank in and spun it and heard a clicking noise....took it out and found out there was a weight in the crank under a plug they welded in that was loose. I took it back and told him there was an issue with the crank. He acted annoyed and asked " what's wrong with it?" I picked it up out of the box and shook it.....he said "ok leave there will be no charge!!" lol

Trust nobody even the best machinist have a boo boo now and then.