Thread: The Mastodon
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

OkaY, i went to the track yesterday and did horrible.I built a scoop to go on top of my carb.Hadn't been running one and wanted to keep the rocks out(has a screen on it) and figured it would run better than just a flat top open carb cruising at 100 mph.Well,it didn't work so good...sorta.The air temp was 3 degrees cooler than last time out and I figured that it was not enough to jet up for.I had 82-84 jets in and 32 degree total timing.Made the first pass with the scoop and it started breaking up at the top of first gear and popped all down the track.Pulled the plugs and 6 of them were dead lean and 2 of them(no.7 and 2 were pig rich Looking at the manifold 2 and 7 are the farthest from the carb so you'd think it wouldn't be.Thought I might have got a couple dead plugs so swapped my old ones back.Those two stayed dark for the rest of the day.Made 5 passes total that day and ended up with 96-98 jets and was still lean!!But my 60' started dropping,from a 1.56 on down to a 1.66.I THINK what might be happening is the scoop is ACTUALLY working to force air and is moving enough extra air at the bigend that it is going lean,but jetting to compensate for the big end is making it fat and lazy on the line.But then again,it DID pop as early as the top of first gear twice.I don't know.Also,I have rear jet extensions but not a notched float,I know,I know.And also noticed that between staging (which is pulling up about 200 feet ,shutting down once and then firing up and go straight to the water box,shouldn't burn much fuel)burnout,make a pass and then the return road I am using right at 3/4 of a gallon per pass and coming up with white plugs!!But,moving that much fuel on a single pass,plus rear float probably not dropping like it should,I wonder if I'm sucking the rear bowl dry and getting my lean fron that.Didn't think to try jetting up the front only to test that idea.Got excited Et dropped from 6.93-7.0 to 6.99-7.13 BUT mph went up almost 2 full mph.Really feels like shes is CHARGING 1/2 track on.I can actually feel the car nose down when I let off at the line.Oh,well.Any suggestions?That is if you don't fall asleep reading this.Kinda got carried away.Will put pics up of the scoop I built if I don't sling it over the hill first :evil: