View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Resurrecting an old race car

Well, after much thought. I've decided to scrap the idea of buying another car. I'm going to bring my old 66 Chevy II back to life. If anyone cares, you can view my profile in the classified section and see what it looked like 20 some years ago in primer.

Sadly, it won't look much different a few weeks from now. I've got to get it dug out from under all the junk in the garage. First step will be to fix the rear suspension and add a fuel cell. Then I intend to put front disc brakes on it and replumb the whole braking system. Then it'll be new rear quarters, some additional body work, along with new door hinges. Also have a new rear glass, the original was broken and replaced with lexan. One of the stupidest things I did was pop rivet the rear trim back on, Paddock replacement trim is gonna run me $240 bucks, that was an expensive stupid!! It's got a fiberglass nose that will need to be shored up as well.

Once all that is done, it'll be onto rebuilding the motor, overhauling the transmission, a complete rewire job. Anyone know if I can have an MSD 7AL-2 rejuvenated? The mice got to it, chewed up some of the wiring. I'll have to gut all the wiring and interior. I have no clue as to how I'll get the headliner out, the roll cage is close, LOL.

This'll definitely NOT be a short term project. Got 20 years worth of neglect to address. It won't be a show car but I want to make it both nice and legal to take anywhere in the country. Although odds are it'll never get out of the Indiana-Kentucky-Illinois-Ohio region.

Let the fun begin!