View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 05:42 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Several years ago I was told there was a local racer using one. The person couldn't prove it and I guess they weren't sure enough about it to protest the car. I hate cheating so I decided to try to do a little research to see how this worked and made some phone calls. This was before the internet was so popular and finding out about things took a little more than a few minutes on google. I called an outfit that was making delay boxes and the guy I was talking to immediately assumed I was trying to buy one of these devices and told me they were illegal. I told him so were delay boxes a couple of years ago and somebody was making those when they were illegal. I corrected him and explained to him that I wanted to know how it worked and how hard it would be to find the device in the car. He told me it would take a person that was knowledgeable in electronics because it would have to a homemade device. He said that the device would have to be activated after both cars were staged and the driver would have to be able to aim the sensor for it at the tree so the sensor would be most likely installed in the fingertip of a glove or the helmet. He said if I wanted to try to prove at least in my mind that a guy was using one to have someone with a flash camera position themself behind the tree in the stands sort of in line with the suspect vehicle and take a snap after the cars were staged. He said this would activate the device and the cheater would go red. I know a flash can be distracting to a driver that's not cheating but having a flash go off never caused me to go red. I stopped racing at the track the suspected chaeter was racing at and pretty much forgot about the conversation until several years later when I was in the tower at another track. There was a guy in there complaining about someone with a flash camera taking snaps while he was staged. This was a guy that was winning races 1st time out with a new car killing the tree right off the bat. Hmmm, kinda makes you wonder.....