View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kbartley
I was told by the owner that this 440 came out of a 78 Monaco police car. This may be true cause it does have h.p. Stamped on top of block. I know that coolant is not staying in radiator long enough. So my question is do I drop back to a 6 blade pump and or stock radiator for a 78 cop car? Hmmmm.
Probably be a good place to start. I do know that the Mopar 440's have more applications than most other engines, and in those applications, the operational parameters were pretty narrow. Especially in the pursuit and RVs.

The Pursuit vehicles had huge radiators, generally, because they were designed to sit, idling, with a load on the accessory drive from the A/C, and the 185-200 amp alternators, and also for running at high speeds for long periods.

The RV's on the other hand were designed to be tucked back into a hot doghouse and run at optimum torque generating speeds, which in most 383/440's is around 2800-3200 rpm and about . . Yeah, 55 mph . . So for that turd you needed to put a lot of water through a fairly large frontal area radiator . . If you have one of those and a little radiator, you're probably gonna have heating problems . .