View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 PM
nitropercent98
SHOW GUEST

Spidey senses were tingling when I got the message on eBay... Still have our PM-1 for sale and I got the "What's your lowest price?" question in messenger. I took 10% off and the next message was "Great. I'll arrange for pick up and shipping". No additional haggle, no ask for anything extra. Not normal. Next message was "I am going to mail a check to you for the payment as I’ve been scammed via PayPal so many times so I don’t trust the platform anymore." I specify the payment options clearly in the post, and checks aren't one. He didn't like PP, so a wire was the only option, and I told him that (at this point he has given a name, but in Last, First Middle format... odd). I say Wire the money and I'll be on the way to UPS once I see the hit. Not a peep for 5 hours. Next message really triggered the alert: "It takes 24 to 48 hours to clear I will be needing your full names and legitimate mailing address to have the check mailed to you." So I start doing some checking on-line about scams. Seems that some people are cloning your ad on eBay and other on-line markets, then they act like they want to buy the actual item from YOU, including possibly sending a (fraudulent) check; meanwhile, they put YOUR item up for sale elsewhere with your identity as the seller, work out payment to their account and when the item doesn't appear, the only info out there is YOURS, complete with the exact same item you were trying to sell and name, address, PP acct. info and anything else they may need to throw the scent off of them and onto you for a while. The guy he said he was is in the area code, but his social media showed NO KIND of drag racing or junior racing history. Smells like Friday's fish on Monday... Be aware of who your buyers AND sellers are... Ask for a current photo of the item that is not one in the ad, maybe even with a selfie. The bad guys are getting creative and it sucks for us good guys.