View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
dftaylor
SHOW GUEST

I did a lot of looking around at different forums for information about a electrical vacuum pump. Most folks are using Delphi GM pumps either used or buying new. Some people are modifying them and claiming they get more vacuum. One of the best sources of information is turbobuick.com. I have a 383 in a 69 camaro street car with a D!SC procharger on it. The motor was never meant to be a forced induction motor and has 10.4:1 compression , so I only run 10-11 lbs of boost. However, this is a street car and most of the time, oil leakage is not an issue. When I go racing on the weekend though, I have lost about 1 quart of oil because of higher crankcase pressure(3-4mmHG) measured off a line plumbed into the valve cover.The car already has header evac system(vacuum is not measureable with a vacuum guage) The back of the motor and the transmission tunnel would be soaked with oil and when I opened the hood at the end of a run, the sky would turn blue from the oil smoke(ran on to the headers). I put a Delphi pump with a Racetronix harness that includes a Hobbes switch(motor only on with positive pressure) and ran this weekend. Not one drop of oil and no blue smoke. The system only pulls 2 inches of mercury but it stops the crankcase from pressurizing and pushing oil out of every orifice it can go. This electric system is not meant to be as good as a belt driven system, but in my application it helped to clean up the messy oil blowouts from cylinder blowby. Hope this information helps.