View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM
dvrracing
APPRENTICE

Default Alcohol question

I have a 68 Camaro with a 496 BBC. The car runs 10.50s launching at an idle with foot brake with 110 octane gasoline. Now I have a major problem. I noticed the radiator was really low and the oil level really high. I drained the oil and left the drain plug out. When I started filling the radiator with water it started coming out of the oil pan. I pulled the intake and there was no signs of anything leaking so I carefully replaced the gasket set and put it back together. Same thing, pour water in the radiator and it comes out the drain hole in the oil pan. I know I could have a cracked head or bad head gasket but the circumstances make me think even worse. Maybe a cracked water jacket in the block. If the block is cracked I have a question. I don't know a thing about alcohol other than it runs a lot cooler and so forth. My question is would it be possible to run the car on alcohol with a dry block (no coolant). I know I would have to watch the oil temperatue of course and would probably have to pull the car back to the pits from the finish line or should I go ahead and rebuild the entire engine with a fresh block. The motor only has about 40 passes on it. None of the cylinders are effected by the water leak. It sounds great and runs great. But when I pour water in the radiator it goes straight to the oil pan. If the block is cracked would the alcohol thing be within reason or a stupid thought? Any good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks