View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Default Gas to Alky, Compression Ratio

Well I just discovered that I have killed or at least mortally wounded my Enderele injected 351W. Budgetary concerns mean this is a season ender for us, before it even started. Sucks, but some days are like that.

I will be accomplishing a few things at a time over the next few months and since we will be torn down to the block I think it will make sense to plan the move from gas to alcohol during the rebuild.

No dough for an aftermarket block so this will remain a stock 351W casting, cast crank, stock rods (already polished on the beams and fitted with floating pins). Rods are currently fitted with KB Hyper dome pistons, static compression is at 11.25:1. Heads are cast iron World Rousch 200 (2.02 / 1.60) with 64cc chambers.

My main question concerns compression ratio. Am I high enough at 11.2 to facilitate this change or am I going to need new bullets? Will hypers stand up to alky in a non-stroked engine? Majority of pistons in $500 or less range are flat tops, dished, or hypers. Any thoughts of what type of performance could be expected if I did stay with my current bottom end and head setup?

I know I am leaving out quite a bit of detail on the rest of the setup but since I just tore the engine down today and the bottom of the engine is on my mind and will be the first item addresed I thoght I would just start here.

My Enderle is a Bug Catcher with an 80A-0 pump (belt driven) so I think I should be Ok with pills, nozzles and a metering valve change, maybe a new pre-pump (cell to resevoir) but if I absolutely have to buy new rotating then I'll have to rethink the whole magilla.

I know trying to make power on a budget is dam near impossible but I have to play the hand I'm dealt. I'm only trying to get a 2800 pund door car into the tens.

Thanks for any advice.

Murff

Just Livin' the Dream, Baby.