Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

10-12 grand can get him a pretty good start and get him in the 10's IF he shops carefully I bought my car in 1996. It had no wiring,no fuel cell or fuel line..no fuel pump or battery..no motor or trans.

It DIDhave; 12 pt cage,fiberglass hood,bumpers and deck lid.Lexan Windows,
12 bolt with strange axles with 5/8 wheel studs,Strange spool with a new 5.14 Richmond Pro gear, ladder bars/coil overs, adjustable shocks on front (brand unknown). It also had new Moroso front runners and a set of 32 x 14 goodyears with 6 passes on them. The wheels were ugly and the paint was near new but nothing to brag about.
I paid $3200 for it. I have never touched the suspension it goes straight and would probably hook in a snow storm...You need to find a car like this one. meaning,get one that some OLD Fart that knows what he is doing has set up and has it working well..that way it will at least be close when you get your motor and tranny in it...So $3200 - $4000 spent..you would still have $6000 left to build a motor and trans. You can build a decent base level BBC and a glide with that if you shop wisely for a few used parts.I was in the same boat as you..I had raced trophy with a street car but knew nothing about building a drag car from scratch...so I found one already halfway there.
JMO