Old 06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Resurrecting an old race car - my first snag

Amid all the gloom from both the rain, floods and not to mention tornados here in the midwest. I fared better than many of my neighbors. The twin tornados that struck here, passed less than a 1/2 mile north of my house. My worst inconvenience was going without water for 4 days. It did get old taking a bath out of milk jug. I've nothing to complain about, as I said, I have friends and neighbors that are still struggling.

In the further mis-adventures of restoring my Chevy II, I hit my first real problem. In the process of reworking my old 9" housing, which I've had for probably 34-35 years. It was under one of my old 67 Mustangs and saw numerous trips down the drag strip before it was shortened and wound up under my Nova. To cut to the chase, the old housing is cracked in the sealing surface and proceeds into the tube.

It will be replaced with a new fabbed 9" from Competion Engineering. I just picked it up this afternoon. This was an expense I didn't expect. On the bright side, all those new Alston Chassis parts will have something pretty to ride on. I guess we can say, now the real work begins.

I also, opened up a hole in the trunk and have mocked up my new 8 gallon fuel cell. It's progress of sorts, at least some parts are starting to go back into and under the old thing.