Thread: nos
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

logan when I was 16-17 years old I owned several 2nd generation camaro's, drove one to high school...maybe it was a fluke ( I'm sure it was) but here is what I put together with very Little Money and it ran 7.60's in the 1/8th mile on street tires thru the mufflers foot brake. 1980-1981

It was a 350 block ( high nickle material content)..I bought an alliance lifter and camshaft from AUTOSHACK (You would not remember that auto chain)
all I can remember it was a 292 duration around a 480 lift...Hydraulic anitpump up lifters...( long before hydraulic rollers came out for street cars)

I got a set of double hump 300hp heads had them shaved about 20ths just to clean them up...I am guess the compression ratio was 10:1 or slightly higher....ran a converter from a junk yard back then you could find old junk Vega's and use their converters...it will stall about 3500 and would last about a month...we would buy another for $10.00 bucks and put it in....
I stumbled across a tunnel ram with a pair of 465 Holleys..notice not too big on the carbs...ran a 4.11 gear

this car took care of most anything local.......I am sure the set up was a fluke and only a hand full of times you run across a combo that just runs like a bat out of hell. I had no idea what I was putting together...but it worked and was very fast for a 16 yr old..

I have a pump gas 406ci in a 69 camaro right now and it is Very,very QUICK on the street ,,,again nothing fancy...solid lift cam about a 5.10 lift, 3,000 tci stahl,vic jr intake port matched to the heads,just a rough bowl blend with a little work on the heads....remember you do not want a All out port job on your street heads...just enough.

they got so much out Now... I mean you could go out here and buy a 500 hp engine dynoed and ready to go for around the $5,000 range . A True 500hp engine on the street in a small block is more then enough to get the job done..I would peronally stay away from steel headed BBC at this point...the added weight vs. what you would have to spend to over come it would not off set itself cost wise for you.....JMO

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "