View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 PM
markadams
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Chrome Moly vs Mild Steel Help!

First off I would like to say this is the best forum I have ever seen. I have bought a couple things and posted a couple questions and have had a great time meeting nice people all over the place.

Now I know this topic has seen its share of postings, but I still can't decide, so I need your help. I am a high school auto tech teacher and I am trying to form a race team with about 10 of my best students (even though it is open to anyone who wants to work). I am using a BBC, transmission and rearend from a former drag car of mine, so it will never be real fast. Ok so I have a steel distributor that will sell me CM for less than DOM mild steel (about $1.00 per foot less), however we do not have a tig welder. We do have a bender and a notcher. I have a neighbor that will tig weld it for us for $25 per hour plus consumables. That will entail us to move the car a couple time back and fourth, which is really not a big problem. But for every little bracket I forget to install it will have to go back to him for welding...Or should I spend more money, have it be heavier, and less valuable, just to be able to controll the welding process. Approx. how long should each joint take him? I know TIG is a much slower process than MIG. 15 min. 30 min. any guesses? If I knew how far the money savings using the CM would take us I could make a better decision.

I am pretty sure I want to go with the CM, but that changes day to day. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a re-post. Mark Adams