View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Hot Rod Brake Question

Thought I'd fish for some info from the experts.

The car is a 46 Chevy 2-door coupe with a 327 and TH400.

Received the car from a less than honest gentlemen in Texas-a story for a different day.

Car was not running, but had a late model GM brake master and booster, with a proportioning valve (probably an F-body set-up). Car had brakes when we pushed it into the garage. Never driven as it didnt run (though it was supposed to.)

Current:

Brake pedal assembly from 69-72 GM A-body with a camaro brake pedal and actuator rod. Standard late 60's GM two bale master cylinder (new) and a metering block from a late 60's Corvair (used). New brake hoses in the front, custom formed brake lines (1/4 inch all way round), no residual valve as master is higher than pedal on the firewall. Drum brakes all the way round too.

Got the old piece of junk running yesterday and am trying to get brakes.

Bled fronts and got decent pressure. Rears are giving me problems as I can seem to get suitable pressure on trying to bleed master. Checked pressure at fitting on axle (central hose that feeds both sides), and on pumping brake the rear pressure was less than expected. Bleeding the brakes gives me just a trickle of fluid after the master is pumped up. I would have expected to see it shoot out when I pumped up the master and let my thumb off the line end.

What I know-

* The master is new,
*The metering block is clean and the master cylinder connections through the block to the master are correct,
*The brakes were not rebuilt save for front hoses.

The actuator rod was adjusted fully out but am wondering if its not long enough. Or could it be the need for a residual valve? Or should I be looking at new rear wheel cylinders?

I just cant get pedal and I cant get the fluid up at the rears.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

later-