View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Okay....plan "B".Just pulled the pan off and it's fried.Fluid didn't look too bad on the dipstick,but in the pan was friction material and smelled horrible.So,I wonder what caused it? A little history on the tranny.It came out of a 1972 C20 and had 175,00 miles on it when I put it in my car.Drove it on the street with about 400 hp for a couple years and ran 7.90-8.10 on it for about 100 1/8 mile passes or less.Never gave any trouble.B&M shift kit and worked fine.Built the new motor (runs 6.90s)and went with a new valvebody,TCI full manual reverse,no brake.Decided it needed some new clutches so I put in a Red Eagle kit with the Kolene steels.1-2 shift was always a little lazy after that,but it never really seemed to be slipping.And shifter was adjusted correctly.("Hey,I got a good idea...let's flog it at the track to see what's wrong with the lazy shift....naaahhh...it won't hurt it" :roll: I am so dumb,sometimes).And it never made heat AT ALL.BUT,the valvebody came with a spring to up the line pressure,which I did install,but I never checked the line pressure to see if it was what it was supposed to be.I bet my original 1972,175,00+ mile pump was not making enough pressure and it let the clutches slip :?: Maybe :idea: I don't know.I'm not a tranny guru.I 've only got about 25 passes on those clutches :cry: Are they not good stuff,or is it something else???Opinions please.Might be going 'Glide after all.....ouch..$$$.....