View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 03:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
well hammer you may not see a visual drop on the mechanical gauge going thru the traps at 140+ mph..but its safe to say you not staring at it very long either... ....

another thing if anyone thinks oil in the pan doesn't move forward in the pan away from the pump on a hard deceleration...think again.

thats why many top notch racers use dry sump oiling systems..( for this reason)

again whatever works for you...both shut down procedures are used succesfully thousands of times each weekend across the country
I stare at 3 gauges a lot .. 1 oil pressure in the shut down, 2 vacuum pressure during a run from start to finish (its actually crazy what can be gained in making a bracket car consistent by the vacuum) and the trans temp gauge again more consistent.

I've been through several oil pans in the past, if you get the right pickup location on the pump and a sump that is not very long (front to back) your almost guarnteed not to loose preasure

I agree it may work for some but the last thing I need in the other lane is someone to reverse it and find me and total both cars or worse hurt us both. Like I said I guess I have just seen enough of this over the years to see what happens if something goes wrong and you miss N and find R .. motors are cheap compared to my life