Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: hawk racing rods?????china but so it eagle

Originally Posted by Timmyboy86
does anyone have any stories on the hawk racing rods? i really need to know how they compare up to eagle in the next copule of days before i buy
I've seen all the rods mentioned, and i believe the eagles are a little strong due to their machining method in the (H) section of the rod. Hawk,Scat, and Cat, uses a 1/2" ball endmill to gut the H section, where s eagle take 2 passes with a 1/4" ball endmill leaving a small stand ^ in the center of the rod i feel making them stronger, but i would opt. for the ARP 2000 or L19 bolts instead of the 8620 bolts.

RE:, Bill,
You're pretty close about Eagle, i've been a machinest all my life, and work about 40 miles south of Eagles shop as a CNC programmer and machinest, so i check everything i'm going to run or build. They do farm some work out, but that's no excuse, they advertise +or - .0005 on all tolerance on all areas, so those rods could have been seconds but i doubt it. They're just lax on their inspection and by the way their pay scale is $12.00 max except for the setup man, who make about $18.00 per hr.
I've return sets of rods, and 1 crankshaft for being out of tolerance, so i'm not surprised at your findings. The average joe blow who pays $400.00 for set of rods rarely ever check them except with plasti gage and what you found or what i would find they never see. I guess that's how these manufacturers get away with such shoddy work.

just my .02

Zip.