Thread: RIP Mike Walker
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Txdrgracer
JOURNEYMAN

So far DOT states the Bottle had major micro fractures that they are thinking were caused by the bottle being exposed to excessive heat over the years. The bottle came out of a car I purchased and looked brand new and several of my friends can vouch for that statement. We had never filled it, heated it, or used it. It was removed from the car, placed under a workbench, in my possesion for almost a year, and the day it exploaded it was picked up by my friend Chris,and then I picked it up and put it back under the work bench. Several moments later it exploaded and I was about three feet away from it standing straight up with my hands at my side. The DOT investigator said that the bottle had so many micro fractures on the inside that it was only a matter of time before it let go. We have obtained two more bottles that were heated with a torch for several years and are going to cut them in half and see if they show the same micro fracturing, if so maybe we can talk to someone about having bottles not only pressure tested, but also have the valve removed and check the internal for micro fracturing. I am only trying to hopefully come up with why it failed and how it can be prevented in the future as well.

Later, Blake www.awalkwithblake.com