View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 1979 Mercury Capri RS Won't Crank

I am having a problem ...The car will crank and run fine and you can drive anywhere but when I come back out it will not start...It turns over fine but no go...After it sits all night it will crank no problem...I have replaced the coil and the ignitor and didn't help, then the switch didn't help and then the module right below the switch and it cranked, but after I drove it a little while it would not crank...Last time it did this I checked and the coil and ignitor were real hot to the touch, almost would blister you..I have "not" replaced the distributor and that is the last part remaining I think..Could it be a bad pickup...and I do not mind replacing the distributor as it is only $52 but hate to if not needed...and mostly I hate to and it not be the cure....Any input appreciated..Oh yea, when it is in the no crank mood you can turn over the engine to no avail but when you release the key and the switch returns to the "on" position you can tell it tries to crank for just an instant but of course will not continue to run....