View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 AM
mike572
APPRENTICE

ashtrack,

Yeah I'm having a lot of trouble finding a kit for the car, I figured it would be available since the Cuda also has the same exact layout. Thanks for the welding tips to I'll definetly do it 1/4 at a time.

Bruce,

Thanks for clairifying the floors, that does seem like a hard future upgrade. I'm thinking about building it from scratch now like you said or at least giving it my best shot before I pay a professional chassis builder big bucks. I can't find any kits for the car. Do you know if the Greenlee bender I have would work fine for the CM chassis tubing? It doesn't have to be mandrel bent of anything fancy right? On one website I saw had a chassis builder using PVC pipe to plan were all the steel bends would be. He didn't make a whole tube chassis but he did make a 10 point cage. First he made the whole cage out of PVC pipe, (he heated it up and bent it with a torch to make all the bends) then he transferred the PVC to the steel tubing and thats how he made the rollcage. Have you ever done anything like this? Or should you just jump right to the steel and the PVC is just a waste of time? Also what do you usually do about the body, do you have to brace it all up before cutting out the stock floors? I'm afraid once the floor comes out the body will twist and the doors won't close anymore. But then at the same time how do you get inside the car and plan all your bends and lay out tubing with crossbraces all over the place. So basically if I built it from scratch I would want to bend everything, tack weld it into place all with the body on the car, trailer the body and chassis down to a professional chassis builder (I already know one) and have him give me a final seal of approval then go home and (given I did everything right) seperate the body and chassis then fully weld the chassis, then put the body back on. Am I thinking the right way about this? I'll defiently follow that SFI book as close as possible to make sure it passes. I've always wanted to build a tube chassis car myself. Thanks for all your help on this.

promod45,

Alright, i'll definetly keep that in mind. I was curious though, what exactly do you mean about the back being adjustable? Do you mean the 4 link? Or is is something to do with the crossbrace for the shocks?

Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it,
Michael